I bought three candlesticks on the Southern Living discontinuation sale for $5 a piece. I grew to love the candlesticks. It was a beautiful thing. I was happy, they were happy. They reveled in the fact that they were the ONLY breakable items in my house. I reveled in the fact that they were so colorfully enthusiastic. It was a comfortable relationship of mutual respect.

Then one of the boys threw a ball in the house. One candlestick did not react well. One candlestick was shattered beyond repair.

Then there was two. Two. Only two didn't look very good. Two was too few. Two was too lonesome. Two didn't follow the rule of odd for decorating. Boo on two.

I went for help. Southern Living didn't have them (hence the DISCONTINUATION sale). Ebay did. I bid. I bid. I won! I won a lot of two for $15 a piece. Two plus two equalled four.

Then there was four. Four? Only four didn't look very good. Four was too many. Four was a crowd. Four didn't follow the rule of odd for decorating. Boo on four.

I separated the new pair. I placed one of the newbies in a closet. Bye, bye one. Four minus one equaled three.

Then there was three. Three. Three looked good. Three was company. Three follows the rule of odd for decorating. Yeah for three.

Then one of the boys crawled onto the counter and pushed a candlestick onto the floor. One candlestick did not react well. One candlestick was shattered beyond repair.

I brought back newbie. I released him from the closet. Hi one! Two plus one equals three.

Then there was three. Three. Three looks good. Three is company. Three follows the rule of odd for decorating. Yeah for three.*


*That is as of the time of this post. I still have three boys...and no candlesticks held in reserve. I am living on the edge.

15 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Thank goodnees you understand the decorating rule of 3. I don't have to sneak into your house and remove 1 just to make it RIGHT!

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

Mom always says, 'don't play ball in the house.'

You could write a children's story with this: 5 little candlesticks sitting on the shelf......

KEEP BELIEVING

Jennifer S said...

...One fell off and HRH said "What the hell?"

This was so funny. My money's on the boys, though I wish the candlesticks (and you)well.

Miss Lisa said...

That is too funny!
Maybe you could wrap them in bubble wrap-- of course then they might not look as nice and of course the boys would want to take off the bubble wrap (to pop!) and this would lead to bad candlestick reactions ;)

Burgh Baby said...

You're totally living on the edge. I would be tempted to put three in the closet for about 10 years, just to be safe.

A Mom Two Boys said...

That's cute.

Yay for EBay!

Boo for boys who break stuff. I wouldn't know what that's about AT ALL. Oh, wait. Crap.

JCK said...

3 is the key. Better you than me...

You have the stamina
of a hot mama in Panama.

Anonymous said...

You've been watching the previews for Horton Hears a Who, haven't you, Dr. Seuss? I love SLAH. And, that sale is dangerous! I'm so glad Ebay bailed you out!

Tootsie Farklepants said...

If those boys aren't careful one of them will be held in reserve.

Kristen said...

This post actually made me laugh out loud!

Loved it, and I am hoping, hoping, hoping, that you live happy ever after with three!

Angela said...

This is adorable. And you are just a bit anal retentive. Like me.

Kellan said...

What a great post, Holly! I loved it and was almost expecting there to be music at any moment - like it should be a great little decorating song!! I love the candelsticks too, btw!! Hope they manage to survive a while - 3 boys - I dunno?!? See you soon - Kellan

Lynn said...

You are one brave woman...You might want to look into getting some extra, just in case. You don't want to get stuck with just two again or even...gasp...only one. After all...one is the loneliest number.

Anonymous said...

Truly impressive. I'd have to have pots and pots of coffee to be so poetic. And Maybe a lobotomy.

j said...

....and only in Blogland, will you find yourself on the edge of your seat, reading about the fate of Candle sticks! LOL!

Very cool post, and honest to goodness, I hung on every word.

Be blessed, Jen

Post a Comment