1:34 AM

It is not me, it is Jenn--LINK HERE NOW

Posted by Texasholly |



Mr. Linky is below for posts related to a MISUNDERSTANDING.

Today I am turning over the Nirvana to capable hands. VERY CAPABLE hands. It is Jenn from Juggling Life. She is a beacon of hope for those of us in the trenches of toddlerhood. She has made it through and still maintains a sense of humor. Jenn linked to this post a few weeks ago and it makes me laugh every time I think about it...

In Which A Miscommunication Occurs

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away Once upon a time When Grown-up Girl (GuG) was less than half as grown up as she is right now, she was on the cusp of puberty. Because I believe everyone should be educated and informed, I bought her this book. Because it's just the kind of girl she is, she devoured the book. She walked around for days with her nose in the book, and frequently gave impromptu quizzes on puberty trivia. She was indeed educated and informed.

One night she was at the grocery store with her Grandma. They ran into the mother of a friend of GuG's. A grocery store conversation ensued. You know the kind; you park your cart to the side of the frozen vegetable aisle as though you are only temporarily stopped, but you proceed to chat for at least fifteen minutes. The conversation centered on softball, and the girls, and oh-how-fast they are growing. GuG's contribution to the conversation was this, "You should totally get Desiree The What's Happening To Your Body Book For Girls. It's really good, it tells you everything you should know about masturbation."

Well, okay then. Sounds good. Good-byes were said, and as carts were pushed down the aisle the enlightened, liberal adults thought, "Hmmmmm, that's interesting."

Three nights later, as we ate dinner, Grandma included, GuG looked up from her baked potato in horror and shrieked, "Did I say masturbation?! I meant menstruation! You have to call Desiree's mother right now!

Of course, we reassured her that Desiree's mother probably didn't even notice, and that is was no big deal, and not to even worry about it rolled on the floor laughing as we cried and peed our pants.


And now it is your turn. Please link directly to your MISUNDERSTANDING post:

26 comments:

the planet of janet said...

first? i'm first?????

obviously i'm up way too late.

hilarious story.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant story.

I can't blame my misunderstanding on my kid. Just my lack of international television knowledge!

Disclaimer: Please note that I am not responsible for any nightmares or nervous tics that the linked video may cause. =)

Marinka said...

And here I was thinking that I should really get that book!

Ash said...

Oh, funny! I didn't WANT to laugh, but wow.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that replays days-old conversations in my head.

Em

Connie said...

Oh M G! How embarrassing!

Great Story!

Lisa said...

O M G! Now that takes grocery store conversations to a new level. Hilarious!

cce said...

That's a classic. Not sure I can even touch that one so I won't link, I'll only admire this very, very good tale.

Dennis and Leslie said...

OMG, that's hilarious!! Poor little thing....how embarrassing!

Courtney said...

hahahahahahahahahahaha

WeaselMomma said...

I'm tearing with laughter as I type!

Anonymous said...

Is it obnoxious that we at Travel Savvy Mom are contributing twice this week?

In our defense, we are the masters (mistresses?) of miscommunication.

Anonymous said...

I'm crying. And laughing. Oh heavens!

Anonymous said...

OMG this is the funniest thing I've read in ages! I'm going to have to think about some recent "misunderstandings"...there have been so many lately!

Angie Ledbetter said...

Oh, poor GuG. Branded for life by a mere slip of the tongue (or a Freudian slip), but either way, marked. :)

PAPATV said...

I'M boring American. My fiance's exciting, hot, brilliant brazilian.

We have a language barrier and I love every moment, er word, of it!

Rachel said...

Oh my hell, that is one of the funniest things ever.

Love it!!!

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

Oh, I wish I had had time to find this post sooner!

This was so funny - I hope I can play along again next week!

Anonymous said...

Funny stuff! I enjoyed it! Hope you'll visit my blog!

Jenni said...

OH MY GOD....that is funny! I don't have anything nearly that good!

Rachael said...

Love the masturbation/menstruation story. Classic hilarity. (if that's a word)

This topic was too perfect: I HAD to link my text messaging mishap. Funny, because I considered linking it when you did the "funny post" round-up, but was embarrassed to go all the way back to January to find funny. I have no probs. with going back to January for "misunderstanding" though. Although, coincidentally, I could have linked today's post too. So I guess the misunderstanding to just plain funny ratio is a bit off.

my so-called life said...

wait, they're not the same thing? that is SO FREAKING HILARIOUS!!!

help me understand that link directly thing though? I am a blog virgin...and confused?

The Stiletto Mom said...

I adore that story!!!!!!

It's going to take me a while to stop laughing. :)

Mozi Esme said...

Oooh! Though a nice thoughtful down-to-earth book on masturbation might be kind of helpful...

Scary Mommy said...

OMIGOD-- I love that story!!!!!!

LuckyMe said...

I'm with marinka and mozieme. I was about to run out and get it! The friend's mom is probably still looking for the masturbation part ...for herself!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm chronically late for your Mr. Linkies... I'll share anyway.

I love that misunderstanding - especially how she suddenly realized so long after what she'd said. So funny. The poor girl, though. I know how embarrassing that must have been for her.

Post a Comment