3:19 AM

Potluck: free cabbage patch with every visit

Posted by Texasholly |



Happy Potluckday!
*cabbage patch pause*
*feel free to join in*
*really*
*seriously, can you think cabbage patch and not join in?*
*How can you be so anti-cabbage patch?*

*butterchurn pause*
*I'm joking!*
*Really, you are so serious this Monday!*

For today's potluck we are honoring Standing Still's wishes and heading to the basement because...

I lurrrrrrrve a good Lutheran church basement pot luck. Having said that, I steer clear of the MEAT HOTDISHES (what kind of meat is that?) and the jello. I think that somehow makes me less of a Lutheran ... but I make up for it by eating 7 people's share of bars.
This will work well for me because all the church potlucks I attended as a child were vegetarian. I hear her audible sigh of relief. But before you break into the cabbage patch again I might warn you that "mystery vegetarian dishes" can be even more scary then meat ones. For some reason ALL non-meat food groups qualify as potential ingredients within the same dish.


This week the Nirvana was a veritable force of super important information. I am sure it is just a matter of time before Google just sends everyone straight here.

I am suspicious that all these people may have once attended potlucks with Standing Still in the past because they arrived after searching "green jello hives", "piece of meat", "piece of ham" and "can I have a piece of meat?".

I want to stop and answer a question that was searched, "do you like potluck?" YES!

What is up with Holly's coccyx:

As many of you know I have debated getting rid of this segment, but I have reconsidered and it is staying. Yep. As long as my butt hurts you are going to hear about it. Lucky, lucky you.

Why? Well, yes I like to complain and vent my woes, but there is a bigger self serving reason that was brought up last week by Headless Mom:
You'll have to have a wake for the coccyx segment if you're going to kill it. I have a feeling that there will be coccyx-lovers out there that can't live without it. (Wow. That sounds really weird.)
I am keeping it because I have not come across any other mommyblogger in the entire internet that has a weekly update on her coccyx. So in an effort to keep original around here it is staying.
June Cleaver Nirvana: Your source for weekly coccyx updates!
Yes, it is a miracle that a huge advertising firm hasn't discovered me...



Whoo hoo! Let's find out who is Peep of the Week!
In reference to Rhett's desire for peanutbutter on faux bacon, there were two comments with a similar theme:
If he weren't a 2yo boy, I'd be wondering if he was pregnant!
Can you be absolutely sure that Rhett is not pregnant?
So for these thought provoking (and giggle inducing) comments both Mozi Esme and Don Mills Diva are Peeps of the Week!


*beep*
*beep*
Please stay tuned for an important Nirvana announcement...

If you are someone that comments here, thank you very much. If you are someone that comments here and your comments are magically transported to another post, you have somehow managed to beat the Nirvana time space continuum...

A week and 1/2 ago I installed the cute little comment box that you see below so you don't have to go to another page, etc. The key word in the last sentence is I.

Yes, dear reader, I edited HTML code because someone said, "it is easy! A 5 minute fix!"

I did it without adult supervision.
I did it in a way that no one can figure out how I did it.
I did it and now the following things are happening:
1. 1/3 of my comments are randomly selected to appear in another post (and not just the one before or after, but it could be one from WEEKS ago).
2. Some people haven't been able to log in under their regular account.
3. The box appears first instead of under the comments like on other people's blogs...you know them, the ones that properly installed it.

I am going to have it fixed. I am just afraid to do it myself at this point. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. I get really nervous around the DELETE function. I don't want to shut down the internet.

Please know that I know what you are talking about and am just giddy to get the comment no matter where it lands. Think of it as the Nirvana comment lottery...



What is in Holly's fruit bowl?

2 large baking potatoes.



Happy Monday everyone. May your Monday be cabbage patch inducing.

Come on,

Play the Nirvana comment lottery!

See where your comment lands...

52 comments:

Karin said...

Nice rainy pics! Thanks for visiting my blog!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

O.K. I'll play. But it's still way to early and I've had nowhere near enough coffee to keep up with you.

Brittany said...

Two large baking potatoes!? Oh yum, I would make oven fries with those and dip them in in vinegar.

Karen MEG said...

Coffee please....just getting my seatbelt on before I comment.

I love this randomness, and I am also deathly afraid of changing anything on my blog, so your comment box, wow, an amazing achievement in my books. Even if my comment ends up on Mars.

Manic Mommy said...

I want to learn how to make a button. Can you help me with that HTML? Or maybe I should Google it.

Time to spin the wheel...

Anonymous said...

Oh Holly--it's Monday school is finally in full gear, I am in a post Olympic fog and I have not had my coffee. There is nothing witty here ;)

Courtney said...

Didn't even think about him being preggos. Maybe? Congrats to the soon to be grandma! Happy Monday.

Vicki said...

Comment lottery...did I win? Where did this land? I'm leaving it in your fruitbowl. Below those baking potatoes.

Unknown said...

I would totally miss your coccyx if it was gone. Wait, what did I just say?

REALLY hope this comment deosn't end up in the wrong place...

Lylah Ledner said...

thanks for stopping by the lylah blog. appreciated your comment on resisting...

very fun place you've got going on here!
blessings...lylah

Valarie Lea said...

The comment thing being this way always gets me excited, because I think I am the first to comment. Then I scroll on down and all my hopes are dashed. :(

the planet of janet said...

yeah, what valarie said.

and obviously you are a secret html genius. how else would you have been able to make these magical commenty things happen.

Beck said...

I like sweet and sour meatballs at our church potlucks. So apparently I do not fear the potluck meat. Bring it on, says I.

Anonymous said...

I once went to a potluck and had what I thought was a chicken casserole. Turns out the "chicken" was really chunks of gluten.
I did not ask for the recipe.

jill jill bo bill said...

Huh? Cabbage gives me gas. There. Now you know. And I misread your deep inspirational post on "It's raining" thinking it said "It's ruining" and was like smiling bigger and bigger as I scrolled down, only to find you were using your photographic talents seriously and beautifully and anyway, I amshutting up now.

Heather said...

The meat/vegetarian potluck thing cracked me up, especially since I was watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding last night. When she introduces her fiance to the family, and tells them he's a vegetarian, her aunt says, "That's okay. I'll make lamb."

Misty said...

your HTML woes are so near to similar ones I've had... I truly sympathize. You poor, poor dear. With but pains and all...

I can't find my blog said...

Clearly the advertising firms are missing out.

They could come on over to my place, though.

Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed that you even attempted to edit the HTML on your own. You're WAY braver than me. I'm too nervous to even add stock widgets to my site most of the time. How sad is that? However, I'm hoping to conquer that fear this week as I do a little housekeeping at my place. Things to move, things to delete, things to update. It's a veritable blog cleaning frenzy!

IndigoSunMoon said...

I was always skeered of eating at those pot lucks. I mean...do you really know if those people washed their hands after handling chicken, or if they picked their nose before cutting up the potatos?
I know...I'm a bit odd. I always brought something though, so I did my part. But nobody said I had to eat anything. lol
Connie

Glad you are leaving the coccyx updates. I think its a good PSA to have, and people should take care of theirs. Your updates make us who read be more mindful of our ever important coccyx's...coccyxes...coccyxees..well, you know.
Connie

Ron Davison said...

Oh Boy! Holly got a comment blender for her potlucks - but no lid, so the comments are likely to fly any which way - onto the walls, guests, even the unsuspecting bacon and peanut butter eating children. Not to worry - I brought my safety glasses to this potluck, somehow knowing that the typical neo-Lutheran attire would not be enough for a texasholly shin ding.

The Mom Jen said...

Ooh twice baked potatoes sound divine at 10am! I'm going to sneak those out of your bowl and replace them with a ginormous eggplant. ;)

Gretchen said...

Okay, still not getting the potluck thing, but still reading.

Am I supposed to guess about the fruit bowl each week? Um, because... you post the answer.

And how does one make suggestions for the potluck? Did I miss the window?

Love the site though. Power to the coccyx.

Louise said...

Some of my favorite potluck dishes (I swear I'm not lying) have been cabbage casseroles. I had them in foreign countries, but they were smeared with sour cream and nice flavors.

I love the "wake for your coccyx segment" comments.

About the comments? Yeah, don't hit "delete." That could start nuclear winter or something. Seek adult supervision. (But good for you for giving it a try.)

Jennifer S said...

Secretly, I'm hoping that my comment beats the Nirvana time space continuum and ends up in Holly's fruit bowl.

A big high-five on what you said about the mystery of a meat-free potluck. Talk about a lottery.

We're livin' on the edge today...

Danielle said...

I love all cabbage!!! Ruffage and dolls! Thanks for the potluck...mmmm!

Burgh Baby said...

I am soooo glad you came clean on the comment thing because I spent ten minutes the other day trying to figure out if I had commented on a post that I could have sworn I commented on, but not finding evidence of said comment. It was weird.

anymommy said...

Did I win? I never win.

Rebecca (Ramblings by Reba) said...

Hi, Holly! I hold my breath when I do anything with my template. I feel your pain. :)

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

I'm standing by my no tuna and I'm a happy camper. Even mystery meat, or mystery meatless is better than tuna before noon.

The comments about Rhett cracked me up.

My husband likes PB on his hamburgers. I know.

Happy Monday to you!

Jenni said...

I am here for Cabbage Patching and Coccyx updates!

As usual, I am not leaving disappointed...

spinning in our own direction said...

YOu haven't been to a potluck until you have been to a methodist potluck. Hey and if happens to be at a park alcohol is on the sign up sheet. sad really.. Im over here doing the sprinkler in honor of your cabbage patch...

Anonymous said...

I broke my coccyx as a kid (think roller skates brand new on Christmas morning and must be tried out! plus icy cement steps...) It hurt so bad I walked stupidly for MONTHS. Duck waddle.

Any time I sit on it for too long it hurts like the dickens. Now I have to go see if you have a similar problem or you're just baiting weirdos like me for comment fun...

Anonymous said...

Oh - and I tagged you today, for fun. It's my first time ever to do this.

Madge said...

you are a goof ball and i have missed reading your blog. we really should have coffee again some saturday morning.

Anonymous said...

Ooi - you think like I talk. So funny. Thanks for the laugh. I'm happy for this comment to end up . . . anywhere or nowhere, really.

Mozi Esme said...

Whatever is in that fruit basket - just smother it with cheese. You won't have any leftovers. Works marvelously every time. Even with chicken gluten chunks.

Kellan said...

I am sorry your are having problems with your comment thingy - but it is sort of a funny glitch and just the sort of thing that would happen to me should I ever decide to mess with my html stuff. I don't have a clue how to do all that stuff and it scares me to death that I will mess it up so bad that I won't be able to fix it. Hope you get it worked out.

Take care - Kellan

Anonymous said...

YAY for being Peep of the Week!

Thanks!

Jaime said...

Water pictures are soo fun!!!

Cookin' Mama said...

I'm intrigued. I'll post a comment then read what everyone else has written...a new world for me! I think I missed something about the Cabbage Patch, but now I'm all nostagic for my cabbage patch doll.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I was totally wondering what was up with the comment thing--I thought maybe you didn't want us to be influenced by other's comments.

Anonymous said...

I won a free Pepsi today, so I was going to play the actual lottery seeing as I apparently have astounding luck, but instead I'll play this lottery. It seems nearly as good as winning several bajillion dollars...

Elizabeth said...

I've become fond of cabbage in my "old age"...
great pot luck as usual...glad the coccyx is
"hanging in there"
Pax, E

Purple Teacup said...

I think a headless mom is more scary than your coccyx.

Katie said...

I Love You! You always make me laugh. And if you figure out this comment thingy will you PLEASE tell me how to do it on my blog cause I still Can't figure it out and I have tried 3 times!!

Anonymous said...

I was just explaining to someone the joys of potluck and the 'name that mystery soy product' food games we would all play.

frog ponds rock... said...

I just want to comment as fast as I can now, just so that I can hit enter and see where my comment ends up ... *jumps up and down excitedly* one, two, three....

frog ponds rock... said...

Yay!!!! that was fun.. My comment ended up on the post it was supposed to. Now I wonder if this one will as well ?????

all together now one, two, three.....

frog ponds rock... said...

Yes! Yes! Yes!!!! two out of three comments have landed on the correct post....

Will we have third time lucky?

one, two, three.....

frog ponds rock... said...

Yiiiipppppeeeee!!!!!

Anonymous said...

My comment will end up at one of your Pancake Puff posts...because I still haven't written my PP review. What can I say? Too busy making them, they take forever. LOL

Post a Comment