4:12 AM

Monday Potluck: back to normal?

Posted by Texasholly |



Whoooo hooooo! Potluck is back in it's normal format. Oh, OK...I admit there is really nothing NORMAL about potluck. So let's celebrate the abnormal!

It is MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONDAY!
It is Pooooooooooooooooooootluck!

Today I am NOT serving Pancit at Yvie's suggestion. I have no idea what Pancit is so I will have no trouble not making it. OK, I did a bit of research and Pancit is a stir-fried noodle dish common in the Philippines. But this is a Pancit-free potluck, so anyone entering this potluck with Pancit will be immediately ushered to the door by security.

I interrupt this potluck for an awards ceremony...

It was my honor to receive this award from three of my favorite blog friends. Lisa who solved her need for new carpet in an unconventional way , Janet who tells a good fish tale (June 3 entry here) and Misty from A Rainy Day in May whose blog causes me to sigh in delight at every visit.

It is the Arte y Pico award, originated by Arte y Pico and passed along to bloggers who inspire others with their creativity and their talents, also for contributing to the blogging world in whatever medium. When you receive this award it is considered a "special honor." Once you have received this award, you are to pass it on to 5 others
.
Thanks so much Lisa, Janet and Misty. I am going to take the liberty of awarding 15 since never in a million years could I narrow it down to 5:

1. To Claudia at On A Limb who expresses her creativity in a different way on almost every post. I love that I don't know what to expect every time I visit, but it is always worth the trip.
2. To SuburbanCorrespondent at The More the Messier who is elbow deep in vomit on any given day. She has made vomit the new black.
3. To Jennifer at Thursday Drive who writes into my heart. I am hoping some day to sit down across a poker table from her.
4. To Mrs. G at Derfwad Manor who I just started reading (I know! I know! Let me just say that if you are like the 3 week ago me and NOT reading her...go now). She has a way of telling a story that is matchless. Oh, and she needs a bit of love from the state of Texas.
5. To Jennifer at Playgroups are No Place for Children who is smart and funny. I would officially stalk her if I had the energy.
6. To Soliloquy at She Just Had To Say It who just makes me want to hug her all the time...and I am not really that huggy in real life.
7. To JCK at Motherscribe who has a beautiful blog filled with heart-felt stories. Reading her is like sitting down with a favorite book.
8. To Meg at A Mom Two Boys who has been my blogging buddy from the start. I love Meg. I laugh with Meg. And then she got all creative and is taking over the blog-o-sphere with AllMediocre.com. Go Meg!
9. To Pinky at Cheese in My Shoe
who I love to stop by and read her thoughts. She thinks like no other. And some days she thinks just like me.
10. To Tranny at Law School Sucks and So Do Lawyers who never fails in bringing something entertaining to the table. It is funny and outrageous. It can't be missed.
11. To Momo Fali who consistently writes something hysterical. How can she be so consistently that funny? Please let me know if you find out.
12. To Holly at Anglophile Football Fanatic who is celebrating her one year blog anniversary this month. I am lucky to be close to her geographically. Her blog is great fun and so is she.
13. To Sarah at OK, Where was I? who is a hoot. Seriously, do you know Sarah? Because you really should. Again, GO!
14. To Tootsie Farklepants at Vintage Thirty who I luckily ran across very early in my blogging because she is awesome. Someday I will say I knew her when... She is very funny. No, very, very funny. No, very, very, very funny. Ya, that's it.
15. And last, but not least...To Brittany at Musings of a Barefoot Foodie who just makes me laugh and laugh. Really, I went over to check the spelling of Brittany and ran into this. Yes, again GO!

So What is Up with Holly's Coccyx?

Things are slowly improving. I am back to yoga 3-4 times a week. This week I was even able to accomplish 90% of the normal class. YEAH. I still drag my donut around anywhere I would be expected to take a seat...

And now let's find out who is this week's Peep of the Week!


After my second croc post of the week (a follow up from yet ANOTHER croc post 2 weeks ago), this comment was made...

OK you may need a Croc intervention at this point ;)

...by Lisa from Very Busy Mom of 4. Thanks Lisa. Your insight has awarded you this week's Peep of the Week title.


And now for a little story entitled, "Don't tell Holly she isn't Oprah...":

Don't Tell Holly She isn't Oprah
A friend and I took our collective 6 children to the Dallas World Aquarium last Thursday. The aquarium is really a neat place and many of my weekend photos were taken there. The building was crowded and I was up to my usual frantic and customary continuous counting 1-2-3 of my boys. I was standing in front of the bat exhibit when I heard, "Are you Holly?" and I looked up to a friendly, but honestly unrecognizable face. I said, "yes, how do I know you?" and she said, "I read your blog". HOLY CRAP/COW! I turned beet red and couldn't put together a sentence, but to put it mildly I was honored and shocked. It was a pleasure to meet Jen who writes Music Mommy. Oh, and by the time I got home and found her website, she had already posted this. I could just kick myself for not getting a picture of the whole fun episode. Thanks Jen for stopping me and making my day.


Alrighty, I know the suspense may be getting too much...
So without further delay...
Let's check out...
What is in Holly's fruit bowl?

a small watermelon.




I recently read the manual for my camera. Which sounds a bit dry, but the camera that I have used daily for over a year has about a zillion features that I hadn't a clue about. One of the unused settings my camera sports is a "fireworks" feature which OF COURSE I had to try out. Duh. Since loud banging noises are things nightmares are made of around here the boys went to bed and I started walking down my dark street in search of a picture. I found that I could get some shots from an open field at the end of my street.

I crouched on the ground patiently waiting for illegal fireworks to be launched. I had to be very still because the fireworks setting would be better suited to a tripod. Then I snapped this picture. I was very proud. Then a little scared...

What you DON'T see in that picture is in the left hand corner is a skunk. Who started walking toward me. I walked away. He walked closer. I ran all the way home like a little girl. Because while loud noises don't bother me, I have a healthy respect for all God's creatures...

32 comments:

The Mom Jen said...

I'm so stoked to be on your blogroll!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the giggle Holly... I am glad I didn't bring pancit to your potluck.. *phew*

cheers kim

Suburban Correspondent said...

"Vomit is the new black"! How I wish I had thought of that line...

Thank you for the award, although its name is not understandable to me. Is it some sort of salsa?

Miss Lisa said...

Peep of the Week--woohooo!

And the skunk? Maybe all the little creatures love you--just like Snow White :)

A Mom Two Boys said...

Yay! Potlucks are back! And thanks so much for the award! What a great way to start my week. Can I have some watermelon? That sounds good.

And ME taking over the internet? Please. I've never been recognized ANYWHERE. You're, like, totally famous. That's awesome!

Oh! And I'm taking you (in spirit!) to BlogHer! I got BUTTONS made (500) to hand out that say "Mediocre is the new black". How awesome is that?!

Brittany said...

Whatevs, you're not Oprah! Maybe you should start doing a segment called Holly's Favorite Things, and give us all cars...then I'd be all like, Oprah who?

Thanks for the award!

the planet of janet said...

brittany is now my new best friend.

cars. yeah!

Suzie said...

I am so glad you have some fruit in your fruit bowl. I was getting worried scurvy can be a real threat you know.

Anonymous said...

Time to drag the donut. {sigh}

Anonymous said...

Hey! Thanks for the award! Totally unexpected - and very exciting! :) Ah Miss Holly's the best!

Happy Monday!

Brittany said...

Damn you internet messing with the context of my comments!!!

Um, actually, that was more like a "Whatevs you're not Oprah"...like the hell you aren't...because you totally are...um...does that make sense now.

Blast this keyboard miscommunication!

Louise said...

All the bloggers I read are getting famous. How cool. I would have been tongue-tied, too, but that isn't very likely to happen to me!

I'm a little disturbed that there is fruit in the fruit bowl.

I'm glad you're coccyx is somewhat better, but I was on a trip last week and in a plane for a long time (2-1/2 hours), and thought mine would explode. Remember my injury was 33 years ago.

And the fireworks? You need to find some BIGGER fireworks so we can see the skunk better!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the award!

It's kind of creepy getting recognized, isn't it?! I have been recognized twice and both times I felt SO WEIRD. By the way, I live in a fairly small town and my blog was in our local paper, so it's not that strange that I got recognized. Still awkward, though.

Unknown said...

So, what up Oprah? I thought that was so funny when I saw that on Jen's blog (I know her outside the blog world!) So cool that she recognized you!

Thanks alot for giving me so many more blogs to read! ; ) And congrats on the award and your healing coccyx.

OH and LOVE your pics from you weekend!

Ok. I think I am done with my potluck comment...

Threeundertwo said...

It doesn't get much more famous than being recognized in a crowd! Congratulations! Can stalkers be far behind?

LOL about the skunk. I don't think I would have even been around enough to get the picture.

Jennifer S said...

Congratulations on the award! Methinks that Oprah would be jealous, on so many levels. Thank you so much for passing it along to me!

That's so cool that someone recognized you.

Glad you escaped the skunk. Maybe on New Year's Eve, we'll see more fireworks photos?

Rachel said...

I'm glad you didn't get skunkified EEEWWW ;-)
Congrats on the award and you chose some fantastic recipients.
That's so cool that you got recognized! Wow. You're so awesome.

I'll be at DFW for a layover on Monday so I'm going to be waving at you, K :-) on my way to VEGAS!! No kids. Just me and a girlfriend! Woo Hoo!

Plus, so glad Potluck is back and yes, I'll take requests just for you and I'll get back to you fast as I can.

Tootsie Farklepants said...

Awwww...Thank you!! I suddenly feel some pressure to leave a witty comment. And, nothing.

Holly is wise to avoid the skunk.

Roger Miller said...

Your Pooooooootluck almost turned into a Tootluck from hell! Maybe you should have flashed the skunk and scare it. (with the camera, I mean) :)

JCK said...

God, you are HILARIOUS! This was a wonderful Monday Potluck! And not just because you gave me bling and said lovely things. Thank you!! And I get to be roommates with the hilarious Meg on Thursday night at BlogHer! You know there will be giggles.

I can just picture you with the skunk. And you ARE a celebrity around town in Dallas. How fun is that! Unnerving, but fun to be found like that! ;) You have many fans. Better get used to it, chickie! Or we'll do a Croc intervention. That peep was classic! Do you think I have enough exclamation points!!?

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Why, why are you mentioning great blogs that I don't alreay read?! There. Is. No. More. Time. For. More!

Congrats to you.

Misty said...

when things are better, you may consider auctioning off the donut for a worthy cause. (ala' oprah) :)

ewww, in re: to skunk... Running was a wise choice.

Anonymous said...

Skunks? Rapid, smelly. Nuff said.

And, I'd freak if someone recognized me in public, too. Well, other than you.

exskindiver said...

hey,
i know it has been a while.
glad to see all as i have left it,
in full swing.
PANCIT i can make for you--as it is a filipino dish.

cheers,
chesca

Anonymous said...

whooopideeedooo!
Thank you, lady, for my suh-weeet award!
I'll take it proudly and display it on my mantle and brag loudly to all who enter my humble abode.

You're so generous.

I wanna know...did you squeal like a little girl when you ran like a little girl (from the skunk)?

Life in the Crazy Lane said...

How funny that you met a "fan"!

Rebecca (Ramblings by Reba) said...

Yay to all your bloggy award winners. I say it's perfectly fair for you to have 15 winners. You received the award three times! :)

Very cool about meeting a bloggy reader... by accident no less!

Danielle said...

Good thing I showed up late with my pancit...guess I'll leave it at the door!

Nora said...

Congrats, and I got some great new reading material from this post.

Kellan said...

You are so funny! This, "I am NOT serving Pancit at Yvie's suggestion. I have no idea what Pancit is so I will have no trouble not making it." still has me smiling!

Hope you had a great weekend and a good Monday - see you, Holly!

Kellan

Momo Fali said...

Aw! Thanks! I wish I was close to you geographically. We could walk around in our shortie pajama's and boots, and be BFF's! Sigh...

Ok, Where Was I? said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! And now I can't believe I have so many new blogs to read. I'm going to have to give up sleeping altogether soon.

Post a Comment