7:00 AM

Grammar time...

Posted by Texasholly |


Rhett(2) woke up 3 days ago speaking in complete sentences. It wasn't that he wasn't talking. He would jabber on through binkied mouth in phrases and repeated words about 20 % distinguishable to the non-relative ear. So imagine my surprise when he walked up to me first thing in the morning and said:

"Reid hit me in the head!"

I nearly cried. How beautiful! His first sentence. Subject-check. Verb-check. Bonus points for the prepositional phrase. I let it rest for an hour or so. I just wanted to soak in the amazement. Later I smelled something foul and asked Rhett if he had stinky pants. He replied:

"No, Grandma changed me."

I nearly cried. How beautiful! His second sentence. Subject-check. Verb-check. Bonus points for the exclamation. I let it rest for an hour or so. I just wanted to soak in the amazement. Later he walked into the kitchen. He announced:

"I go in car. I go in fiiiiiiive minutes."

I nearly cried. How beautiful! His first two sentence combination. Subject-check/check. Verb-check/check. Bonus prepositional phrase-check/check. I also felt like I needed to award additional points for catchy phrasing and dramatic delivery.

Let's take inventory of his first 4 sentences. His life is in peril. He resourcefully recruits help as needed. He is on the move. He is giving me warning. This is a pretty clear and concise picture of his world here at casa de Nirvana.

I am hiding the car keys and my cell phone. I have no idea what skills he will master or what he might say next...

33 comments:

cce said...

It's only a matter of time before he masters the internet and gets himself into some serious chat rooms...time to lock up the computer as well. LOL.

Happy Campers said...

That's so adorable :)

Suzie said...

Throw him a rubix cube. Its amazing what these little pick up. I'm trying to get my three year old to do my taxes this year.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Surely a budding linguistics major!

Courtney said...

How wonderful. Maybe that's what Callee will do because she will be 2 in July and you can barely understand a word that child says.

Lynn said...

A veritable genius!

Heather said...

Let the fun begin! Time to start counting gray hairs.

Valarie Lea said...

Our babies how they grow up fast! Before you know he will be graduating like mine. :(

Don Mills Diva said...

He is clearly a genius. That is all.

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

Just for shits and grins give him a Harry Potter book and see if he can read it in less than a month. Or see if he at least doesnt turn it into a projectile with his brothers as the target.

KEEP BELIEVING

Tootsie Farklepants said...

What a big boy!! Boy-Child#2 has a shirt that reads "My parents taught me how to walk & talk now all they want me to do is sit down and keep quiet".

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is my favorite verbal stage. I predict his next sentence will be about rolling with his homies.

Momisodes said...

YAY!!! Such an exciting time :) Good thinking on hiding the phone and keys ;)

Anonymous said...

Way to convey those thoughts, Rhett! Wow. I loved that transitional phase, too.

You sound like you might be a grammar cop, Hollyanna. I fear them. Despite being an English teacher....

Jennifer S said...

What a great story to tell, too, that his first sentence was "Reid hit me in the head"!

It's a big, big day.

Amy said...

Great sentences. My two year old's first sentences took my by surprise too. I thought she would never put 3 words together and then one day she proves me wrong.

Loralee Choate said...

It's so weird when that happens. It's like a blink of an eye and BAM! They're off!! Jabbering away!

Karla Porter Archer said...

My 2 year old just started this up too! Suddenly saying things I understand - conversations, almost!

xo ~K

JCK said...

How exciting! Those first words, sentences - no matter the content are the best!

Good move on the car keys. He'll at least be able to unlock, climb in and lock the doors soon...

Momo Fali said...

He sounds so smart! You are in deep, deep trouble.

Miss Lisa said...

That's how Einstein started ;)

Angela said...

wait until he sends his first text message.....

Beck said...

Ah, talking, that mixed blessing. I still remember The Baby's first real sentence: "The Boy hit me with my tights!" Apparently, only trauma provokes real speech.

slow panic said...

i'm still waiting for mine to talk in full sentences....

OHmommy said...

Smart AND cute.

Start filling out the paperwork for MIT, Mama!

Jen said...

Aw, yay for Rhett! That's awesome!

Rachel said...

Okay, first: there's that picture! Oh. my. word. He is so darling!

Second: Hot diggity woman! The pedi. and I were talking yesterday about monkey's 'lack' of words. I told her flat out.. he understands everything you say, he babbles quite a bit with lots of inflection and emotion.. I'm not worried. He has a 4 yr old sister who never shuts up. When he finally does 'talk' It'll be something profound and meaningful :-)
This post.. just solidified that for me.
I'll cry with you for our babies growing up.

Anonymous said...

Amazing how you can be completely happy that he's saying something for the first time, but sad that your last "baby" is passing a milestone...or maybe that's just my neurotic problem! :0)
He sounds precious with his binkie in his mouth.

Nick & Lizzy said...

OMG, I am crying TOO!!! When will this happen to MEEEEE???? My first kid was talking early. My second? No. interest. whatsoever!

Wait, maybe Reid should come over and hit her over the head...

MoscowMom said...

How exciting! Your pride and excitement really come through in your writing. My second daughter was very late talking... Her older sister never really let her get a word in edgewise... Then one day she was playing dress up, and suddenly she came running down the hall wailing, "I NEED HEELS!"

the planet of janet said...

clever clever boy!

Purple Teacup said...

All Copper does is grunts....oh and says DOG.

Health and Wellness Blog India said...

Thanks for sharing that. It was fun reading it. :-)

Post a Comment