Happy Friday Frump-No-Mores!

Today we are expanding on our lesson from last week. Because here at the Nirvana, I aim to beat a dead horse explore frump fighting to it's fullest. Last week we discussed how a room full of dead people and a house full of monkeys inspired me to stalk George Clooney at Target. All right, that may not have been the best summary, but I have a short attention span.

I started working on this post yesterday afternoon. Well, not actually THIS post because what I was working on was even worse then THIS so I dumped it. BUT in the middle of my brilliant thought a very LOUD sound enveloped my house. FIRE ALARM. Not just one, but all the smoke detectors were going off. I ran upstairs and grabbed my children and ran outside to designated meeting place in case of fire. No smoke. No fire. Very loud noise. I finally called the fire department's NON-emergency number and explained what was happening. 4 minutes later sirens blaring the fire truck arrived with 5 firemen in full fire gear. 4 minutes later the ambulance was on the scene with 2 more men jumping out of emergency vehicle. So, in the course of 10 minutes I now had 7 of our city's bravest searching my house (crap! my closet) and reporting back to me. It was not George Clooney, but really...I was glad I wasn't clothed in fuzzy robe and slippers.*

This week in Colorado another almost-George Clooney moment happened over at Eat, Play, Love when fellow frump fighters holding a play date ended up on the evening news. It turned out great because they looked just adorable, but it makes you think...what would happen if news cameras found you at the park?

So how do you become O.I.A.B.I.G.C.A.T. (Oh! I Accidentally Bumped Into George Clooney At Target) ready?

I will take my inspiration from one of the greatest films of all time. A cinematic masterpiece. A movie with few rivals: What About Bob? Yes, What About Bob! Bob is diagnosed crazy, but an excellent therapy student. He constantly reminds himself out loud and under his breath through just about any task, "Baby steps, baby steps to the...." Baby steps is what we need! Baby steps ensures that change happens slowly. Baby steps keeps wild swings in check. Baby steps helps keep clothing budgets under control.

Today's baby step I am advocating is T-shirt replacement. One of the mommy staples is the plain T-shirt or the slogan T-shirt *shudder*. Bye, bye slogan T's. Now let's make a plan upgrade the plain ones...

I am shopping for plain t-shirt alternatives. I want to find things that just step-up the style without giving up comfort.

Consider exhibit A:
This is an eyelet shirt from Target (I think it was $17.99). Please excuse the wrinkles...I pulled it out of the laundry to photograph it. I doubt Martha Stewart has ever done that. Anyway, I have washed it multiple times. It washes really well, requires no ironing, is really comfortable and an upgrade from my usual T-shirt.

Consider exhibit B:
This is a polo shirt by Bitten. It retails for $7.99. Karla introduced this line in one of the first Fight the Frump Fridays. I was very skeptical because I have a long torso and ANY shrinkage will cause an ordinary shirt to become a belly shirt on me. I have washed this several times and it still fits like it did the first time. I love the sleeves. They have a little gathering on the top to make it a bit more feminine.

Please join Fussy and friends for more fight the frump. Please look to upgrade your t-shirts. Please let me know if you run into George Clooney or a suitable replacement...


*The conclusion of that story was the the fire chief saying, "Hmmmm. We have never seen anything quite like that. You need to get an electrician out to see why the alarms are activated." That isn't good news. Thank God I looked cute.

23 comments:

Valarie Lea said...

Thank goodness you didn't look frumpy. I am trying to get the t-shirts out of the laundry and only keeping them for cleaning.

Heather said...

I'm lucky if I've even showered, much less dressed in something cute. I need to try much, much harder. And, are we to take it there was no fire, thank goodness?

Darla said...

I totally agree - no more "Hanes" for me. I bought a BUNCH of long sleeved shirts (infact I have a brown one on today - it's been snowing here - long sleeves necessary) that FELT like t-shirts but didn't wrinkle or LOOK like t-shirts this last winter. I just picked up a few for this spring but i need to get some more.

I love that brown one - it looks comfy too.

Jill said...

i;m super short but have the same shrinkage/short shirt problem. jeez.

Anonymous said...

Fussy herself told me I was frumpy. I'm just going to stop fighting. I think I enjoy frumpy. But, more power to you, Holly.

Eternal Sunshine said...

LOL @ AFF.

I think George will completely appreciate all your non-frumpy non-Tshirts when you see him at the Tar-jay!

I wish I could remember whose blog I was reading that said they had the fire Dept come out and had their undies all over the place - I would totally have to move!

Cute post - Thanks!

Happy Campers said...

Love the upgrade idea! Does it count if I wore a fitted gray tshirt but threw on a kicky pink cord short jacket with it today? I mean, we tourd the Texas Motor Speedway, so I couldn't go ALL Klassy-with-a-capital-K :) Hehehee!

Always such good ideas. And I must check out Bitten. Such cute things I see from your blog!!

Anonymous said...

yesterday i was not frumpy, today, unfortunately for those around me, i am quite frumpy. i just won't venture out to target. :)

EatPlayLove said...

Trust me, lesson learned, even after hiking with some friends. Thank goodness for big sunglasses!

Love those polo shirts with a special touch.

Purple Teacup said...

You are so over my head sometimes.....I have A LOT of catching up to do on your blog. I am so for the T-shirt upgrade though....

spinning in our own direction said...

I bet the boys were excitedd to see all the firetrucks and firemen. At least it wasn't 2:00 a.m. when your house decided to go psycho on you.. BTW.. I am boycotting your blog on Fridays from now on.i will stay frumpy. I like to call it "ready for action" clothing ( since I don't own fuzzy slipers or a housecoat but have 3 yes 3 drawers of windshorts)

Open Grove Claudia said...

I never wear t-shirts - but oddly, today, I am wearing a Breaking Benjamin t-shirt. Do I really have to get rid of it? But... but... (lip vibrating) I love Breaking Benjamin....

Tootsie Farklepants said...

Yeah. Firemen are hot. I think that is mandatory!

Cute shirts! I love Bitten and I loves me some SJP!

Mackenzies Momma said...

adorable shirts! i'm in the process of replacing mine a few at a time!

Kendra said...

I love the shirts.

I despise ironing…I try to avoid it at all cost possible so I’m lovin exhibit A.

Good reminder to always look good….you never who your gonna run into! lol *grin*wink*

Jennifer S said...

I'm trying to figure out how I can make all my fire alarms go off at the same time. Without getting a bill for 7 firemen coming to my house needlessly.

That Sarah Jessica Parker, she's a good egg.

I just had a great idea. I'm going to start Fight the Rump over at my site. Not really, since that would require a lot of exercise tips, and I don't have all that many. Or any.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

You are so right about the shirts--no harder and ever so much cuter.

Anonymous said...

I JUST bought that brown Target top yesterday, only in a different color. Who knew I was taking a stand against frumpiness? I just thought I was finding an inexpensive top!

JCK said...

I can't imagine you not looking cute, HRH. Seriously. George would be lucky.

On the T-shirt front...funny you should bring this up. I am in NEED of new T-shirts. I'm definitely not a slogan T-shirt kind of gal, so you don't have to cry for me.

Madge said...

oh! i need to dump all my t-shirts. it's getting pathetic. i'm off to target and that place that carries bitten whose name i can't remember oh yeah, steve and barrys!

A Mom Two Boys said...

OMG, did the boys LOVE the fire enigines and ambulance? Dylan would FREAK.

Love the t-shirt idea. Maybe with my "rebate"! Ha.

mah-meeee said...

I have that same top from Target! Compare to mine, yours is 'ironed'!

Never tried anything from Bitten... I'll have to go look it up to see where they sell it in my neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

We made it through the evening news because our children were adorable...and the wind was so miserable that we gave up on the hair. ; )
But I do give thanks that I was actually reasonably dressed for a hike/evening news fly-by. LOL!

Post a Comment