Today I am contributing cherry frosted pop-tarts gently toasted in honor of this historic time and place where Monday potlucks have its own badge. Thanks to the mad skillz of Nap Warden my little potluck looks a lot yummier. Check out her NW Designs for some really cool projects (please don't tell her that her prices are VERY reasonable until she is done with my very long to-do list).

Thanks to Burgh Baby's Mom for this fun valentine. I would like to pass it on to Jodi, M2B, HC, Jen and Fussy in honor of this new site--TODAY.

Last week I was in Williams-Sonoma and overheard this end of a cell phone conversation delivered by a very well dressed, very tall man: "It is just a matter of time until the word gets out and then Wal-Mart is going down". WHAT? You heard it first here... Wal-Mart is going down.

Dear Lunchables,
I don't buy you, but blog-Stedman sometimes does the shopping over which I have no control (deep cleansing breaths) so please take note that when you label every package inside with "Congratulations" you have won my 6 y/o who can read such things goes wild. It then takes 20 minutes to explain to him that a one month subscription to some online gaming site isn't really much of a prize. It is NOT NICE to parents. And what part of Nachos is real food?
Holly

I don't mean to be a complainer, but it is going to be 80 degrees today. Feb. 4? What happened to "in-between" temps?

Disclaimer: Blogger spell check is still not operating so please forgive my inability to spell correctly.

After watching a full day of PBSkids on Friday, I will have to say that pretty much everything on that channel is awful. The more recent crop of children's programming seems to find it necessary to "engage its audience" by asking them questions in the middle of the story. This is what it looks like at my house...
Perky TV animal shouts while looking in the camera "Hey, what is your favorite color?"
In my living room are 3 boys staring but stone silent.
Perky TV animal responds, "Oh! I LOOOOOOVE that color. You are such a good color picker"
In my living room are 3 boys staring but stone silent.
Perky TV animal sings, "Lets all do the rainbow dance! First you move your arms and legs..."
In my living room are 3 boys staring but stone silent.
Perky TV animal stops dancing to state, "Wow! You do the rainbow dance better then anyone I have ever seen! Good job, Friend!"
In my living room are 3 boys staring but stone silent.
ENOUGH. Stop trying to "Interact" with my children AT HOME THROUGH THE TV! Stop trying to "build up their self-esteem" with stupid affirmative statements after they have contributed NOTHING. And above all, TV CHARACTERS ARE NOT FRIENDS!
*Fade to black*

14 comments:

cce said...

I had a similar epiphany about children's television about four years ago and they haven't been allowed to watch it since. I just couldn't bear that inane content, the self esteem bull-shit. My kids were so young when I turned the tube off that they really don't even know that they're missing anything at all.

Tootsie Farklepants said...

Ah children's tv. It is television's attempt to portray itself as something other than a sloth inducing, mind sucking void.

I would also like McDonalds to quit trying to make itself out to be some kind of pillar of health. Apple dippers? Dipped in caramel? C'mon!

Jameil said...

lmao @ the attempted tv interaction w/your children! hilarious. i used to love lunchables. my mom couldn't stand them either. you can send 80 degrees up this way if you don't want it. i'll dress it up all nice and play with it.

Unknown said...

what a gr8 post! i'm tired today so i didn't get what the cape girl did for you (Nap)...i need to go back to bed. she created my design, so i'm curious.

p.s. too bad for Wal-Mart. Such a nice store.

Burgh Baby said...

AMEN! PBS shows have gotten to the point of ridiculous which is precisely why I have spent a fortune on Signing Time DVDs. And, yes, I do know that PBS shows that show in some cities. Not Pittsburgh. We get lots of Barney though. Every kid I know has learned so much about sharing and caring from Barney . . . NOT!

Lunchables? Are not food. Nor are they related to food. Nor should they do anything to get small children excited. It's wrong.

Jennifer S said...

Seriously, with the kids TV. Although one of my children must have been in their test group, since she DID interact with Dora, et al. My boy, however, wasn't having it. I wonder what's the kids version of What the Eff? Because that may be what your boys were thinking.

slow panic said...

thank you for the valentine!

that poor man in william-sonoma doesn't know anything! i wish he were right, but alas.....

Rachael said...

So, it sounds like you're feeling back to your old self! :)

And your kids are just too cool for TV. Mine actually answer the questions. :) :)

Too bad for Wal-Mart. Huh.

Jen said...

Through the tv communication is a pet peeve of mine as well. Does it make me equally as weird that the other day the boys left one of said shows on, and I walked by and said (out loud), "Stop talking to my children." I was offended this stranger (not friend) was talking to them. I'm the only one who's aloud to get inside their heads!

Thanks so much for the bling! It's very, very purty. :)

Unknown said...

HAH. I loved the weather today. We got to go outside & run amok. PBS shows I like: Word World, and George....

PLEASE go down Wal-Mart. I loathe you so...

Momisodes said...

OMG! That was hilarious! I couldn't agree more with the shows asking questions...it is so. annoying! And my daughter just stares at the TV completely puzzled.

My mom hated lunchables and never let me have them *sigh*

Kellan said...

This was hysterical - "Perky TV animals" - hahahahahaha!! So funny! My spell check is not working either - I am in big trouble - what is going on with that?? Have a good Tuesday - see you later. Kellan

JCK said...

Too funny about the children's TV program. It is enough to make one insane. Not that we are exactly sane to begin with.

I am SO glad you mentioned the spell check not working on Blogger. I can't get the spell check OR adding an image to work. I also haven't seen any mention that they recognize that it is a problem and it is almost a week now! (So sorry to rant on YOUR blog!) Any ideas?

I'm not a Walmart fan, due to their business practices. So, I cry no bitter tears if they are truly going down...

Casdok said...

Great post!! :)

Post a Comment