I was born with an opinion. I am rarely without a piece of advice. I seldom have nothing to say on a subject. Imagine how annoying useful it is to have me around. A penny for my thoughts? No thanks, here are my two cents free of charge...

So imagine my delight when I accidently got signed up for Mamasource about a year ago. A friend who's business I had used several times asked me to write a review on Mamasource about my experience. Sure! Did I mention how opinions just ooze out of me? The task was soon completed. The next day, a daily digest from Mamasource appeared in my email. It contained 8 questions from moms in my area asking everything from a location of a toddler-friendly park to breast-feeding woes to how to deal with pesky in-laws. All I had to do was push one button and type away. I know a good park. Click, click, click. I survived it through breast-feeding woes. Click, click, click. I have in-laws (of the non-pesky variety). Click, click, click. What a magical experience. I had been elevated from robe-clad, messy haired mom drinking her first cup of coffee to Dear Abby in the matter of just one email. And the magical journey didn't stop there. Every morning I receive a new list of questions. Every morning I sit down like Ann Landers doling out advice. Your husband leave you 3 days after you give birth? Get a lawyer. Your son hard to potty train? I feel your pain. You want to move your 18 month old out of the crib to make room for a new baby? Now you are just being crazy...buy another crib and invest in a good crib tent. Soon I was posting questions myself. I found a good plumber, someone to do the gutters on my house and a photographer. When an area business didn't deliver on a promise, I was able to warn other Mamasource moms. And in the warning process I obtained several contacts of people who could do a better job.

It is a little like living back in the good old days of white picket fences and sprawling porches where June Cleaver-types shared community information over a glass of lemonade. It is a community and because it is local, every once in awhile you spot a friend and send a quick, "hello".

A few months ago I added this blog to my morning routine. I was having so much fun answering questions and figured a blog opened up the whole world of UNSOLICITED advice. So here I am in nirvana...opening my Mamasource email and working on my blog. Excuse me, someone is concerned about their 18 month old throwing a tantrum...

12 comments:

Courtney said...

That makes so much more sense than the other day. I may have to ask you about some questions I have.

Texasholly said...

Thanks Courtney! I appreciate it because although things are much better here...it is still a bit foggy.

Jennifer S said...

You've clearly found your calling. Here's a tough question for you: My Mr. H is coming home tonight after being away for a few weeks. Do I a)wait up wearing something sexy, or b) pretend to be asleep.

Seriously, take your time to answer. :-)

Unknown said...

Greetings, I am The Mama Bear of The Cafe at the End of the Universe (http://cafeendofuniverse.blogspot.com/) and I have stopped by today to let you know you have found your way onto the Magnificent Mamas of the Universe Blogroll. Joining numerous moms from throughout the blogosphere. Welcome.

JCK said...

Have you thought about starting a business? Or even advertising another "advice" blog? I'm serious. This might be meant to be.

Unknown said...

My son is impossible to potty train. Any suggestions?

Kellan said...

This was a great post - well written and funny. I don't have a question at this moment - but if I should have one in the near future, I will know where to come. Take care and see you later. Kellan

Momisodes said...

I'm with JcK. You definitely found your calling. Have you thought of starting an advice column/blog? Or maybe on a mom social networking site?

Burgh Baby said...

Heh. You got an email from Mamasource asking you to write about them, didn't you? Me, too. I haven't done it because mostly I troll it and laugh at all of the parents that are far less competent than me. You know you laugh when someone is all "My 14-month old just won't eat Stage 2 baby food. I'm going to die! Help me!"

Miss Lisa said...

I feel the same way when I look at that site!

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

You should check out the forums at www.wisebread.com

They give away $20 Amazon.com gift card to a poster everyday, and after you post 50 times, they share ad revenue with you!

Thanks for your comment on my blog!

Candi said...

Really? Wow I had no idea you were that new at blogging, you seem like a pro!

Post a Comment