Reid (5 almost 6) is the middle child and has always been the forgotten one. From birth he has been my easiest, my most accommodating, my quietly independent child.

The un-squeaky wheel.

Thank God.

He is flanked on either side by brothers with spirits as large as hurricanes. He huddles in the middle to weather their storms.

About 6 months ago he started throwing tantrums* every time we left the house.

I don't want to go to karate.
I don't want to go to my friends' house.
I don't want to go to the park.


Everywhere is bad.

*Let me clarify that a Reid tantrum registers around 1 on the tantrum-Richter-scale. I try not to judge, but really, after seeing his brothers' tantrums I would think by just using pure genetics he could put a little more effort into the show.

One day blog-Stedman watched the pre-karate fireworks as I wrangled Reid into his ghee.

Gee.

We had a chat before I left to take the boys to class about whether it was karate or life that was bothering Reid. We decided it needed further investigation and possibly a change in schedule.

We got to karate and Reid completed his class without incident and with his full participation - as usual.

While we stayed to watch Ryan's class he climbed up onto my lap and we had a conversation...

Me: Reid, you did very well in karate today.
Reid: Yes.
Why the big fuss before we came?
I don't know.
Do you like to do karate?
Maybe.
Would you rather do something else?
Swimming.
OK, we can do that. It will take about a month to make the switch.
I like to swim.
I will talk to the karate class and cancel your lessons here.
Yes.
*we sat quietly for a few minutes while I thought about the details of the change and then thought I might want to ask one more question*
Reid, if I switch you to swimming you may NOT throw a fit before class - do you understand?
*pause while Reid thought about it* Mom, I think I better stay in karate.

17 comments:

Don Mills Diva said...

That is one of the best pictures of a kid I have ever seen.

Classic.

WeaselMomma said...

Hehehehe. Just explain to him that there is not time on the way to class to throw a fit, but that you can schedule his fir for X:30 and that he may fall apart at that time for 3 minutes and you will watch. Let him plan a script and perform it out for you. This will take all the fun out of the spontaneous fit throwing and he will think you have lost your mind. It's good to keep the kids a little of balance.

Happy Campers said...

:) Good follow up question from the peanut gallery....

Manic Mommy said...

I agree with Weasel Momma. Gotta keep them off balance. God knows they keep us there. Let me know if you figure out what's causing it.

Jenni said...

Sometimes you just NEED a little tantrum. I get that. I reaaaaaally do...

I can't find my blog said...

So in touch with this.

jamie said...

I'll never forget when my easy child started voicing (or over-voicing) his opinions. I felt so...betrayed.

Unknown said...

LOL...Oh My thats a CLASSIC! and hey least he is honest!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

To much compliance is not a good thing--though it sure feels like one!

zelzee said...

Personally I think it is just the "middle child syndrom".
As a middle child myself, I know we are usually the ones that can't throw a decent tantrum if we tried..........
We usually do it just to see if anyone is listening.............

Anonymous said...

Awww I <3 Reid!

Brittany said...

Awww...that was so cute! I worry about this, my soon to be middle child has always been a screamer...does that mean I am doomed?

On a limb with Claudia said...

I LOVE THE MIDDLE CHILD!! I could just tell you what's happening there.... but I have broken the code waaaaaayy to many times in this box.

Let me just say....

HIGH FIVE BRO!!

Anonymous said...

I agree regarding the middle child syndrome. Sometimes you just have to let them be the "squeeky wheel".

KG said...

I bet his rage increased exponentially when he saw you taking his photo of his rage ... I approve.

Ash said...

You're the smart mama. I wouldn't have thought to ask.

Yet another reason why it was a good idea for me to stop at two.

Marinka said...

What's the point of doing a sport if you can't throw a fit beforehand?

Post a Comment