2:47 PM

I would like to buy a vowel

Posted by Texasholly |


My dear friend Marcy is leading the blog-o-sphere in Proposal 2.0. There is a proposal and then she has a long list of really fun stories linked.

So how did Nirvana begin?

On Fridays I only had classes until noon. I usually worked in the afternoon, but this particular Friday I did not. I went over to blog-Stedman's Southern California apartment and promptly fell asleep in his double Papasan - it was the early 90s and he was on the leading edge of decorating style.

While I was asleep he cleaned the entire apartment.

That should have tipped me off right there that something was up.

When I woke up he had started on dinner. As you know I am not a cook, but he is. He makes fine dining restaurant quality food that takes patience and skill to prepare. I hung out at the little eating bar while he cooked.

After dinner he handed me a box of Godiva chocolates and told me he got them for dessert. We were both in graduate school so a large box of Godiva chocolates was pretty rare.

I picked out a chocolate from the box and when I lifted it out of the wrapper a letter floated to the table. A single letter of the alphabet. It was cut out randsome-note style.

Huh?

Being curious, I started lifting all the chocolates and finding various letters tucked under each treat.

I pulled out the letters and started to unscramble them...

W-i-l-l

y-o-u

m-a-r-r-y

m-e-?

The ring was in the special foil wrapped chocolate covered cherry.

There was hugging and kissing and crying and at some point I think he got on bended knee.

When I called my parents to tell them the happy news my dad had the following question...

Are you SURE that is what it spelled?

If it was not it is 17 years too late now.


Now go join in the fun!

Proposal20

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay THAT is awesome.
So creative. Such wonderful planning.
BUT just for fun...what else could those letters spell?

"i mall you warm rye?"

Just sayin.

Aracely said...

Daddy Nirvana cracks me up... sounds like something my dad would have said, followed by I don't have to pay him do I? Thanks for sharing such a great story.

I can't find my blog said...

So cute!

Reminds me of a college boyfriend who unwrapped hershey's kisses and made new tags for them of 'just us' sayings. Best v-day gift ever.

LunaMoonbeam said...

I love it!!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

That is cute, but the Glamorous Life is right--good thing you solved the puzzle correctly!

Jenni said...

That is SO sweet! I wish I had a good story like that!

Anonymous said...

Now that is a very, very sweet proposal! Great engagement story, Holly!

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

Very, very sweet! I would love to have a proposal as cool as that one!

Unknown said...

Very sweet. I love your Dad's comment! HA HA!

foolery said...

I would have come up with "YOU -- MARRY WILLEM!" and slunk out of the apartment sulkily, looking for Willem Dafoe. But that's just me.

High fives for a great story. :)

Anonymous said...

THAT was pretty damn hawsum!

the planet of janet said...

that is totally adorable. ADORABLE!

WeaselMomma said...

Great story! Your Dad is to funny. Maybe he was hoping it spelled out anything but that!

Brooke said...

that's awesome! :) what a sweetie!!

Tina in CT said...

What a hopeless romantic!!!!

My proposal was crap compared to yours.

Also love your father's reaction.

Rachel said...

Awwww I love it.
What a perfectly adorable and sweet start for y'all's lives together.
Your dad's reaction is priceless!! Sounds like something that my dad would say ;-)

Musings of a Housewife said...

LOL! That's great. Love your (new?) design.

jubilee said...

That is so unique and wonderful. With my luck I would have picked up the ring candy first and never gotten around to the letters. Either way . . . it's totally cool.

BTW, I keep meaning to ask you, how did you get the cute buttons up top for facebook, technorati, etc?

Anonymous said...

I would have spelled out:
W-I-L-L
Y-O-U-R
R-A-M
Y-E-M

You want my ram to what??

Eli's Lids said...

Love that!! Chocolate was a great way to soften you up!!
Can't wait to click around your blog :)

mommypie said...

Aw, you got a clever boy too!

Seriously, thank you SO much for being a part of one of the most amazizng, romantic, crazy days of my life. Gotta admit, I'm still a bit discomboobulated -- and that you all pulled this thing off without me KNOWING???

Clearly, I gotta get out more. ;)

BIG BIG Xs and Os!

Anonymous said...

Awwwwww what an amazing and sweet story. *sigh*

It's taken me forever to get through all of these stories. But it's been worth it. Tuesday night was AWESOME!

Manic Mommy said...

Well that's just too sweet.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Yet ANOTHER sweet proposal! Love it.

JCK said...

Such a GREAT proposal! And Blog Stedman has exquisite taste in chocolates.

Shauna said...

Love blog Stedman.

On a limb with Claudia said...

I love Blog-Stedman! What a wonderful story. Thanks so much for sharing it! :)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I have never heard this story! So sweet! And creative! Now I definitely know I made the right decision to take some marriage (and honeymoon) advice from you two :)

Post a Comment