9:24 PM

Dream

Posted by Texasholly |



For a long time you were just a dream.
The dream from which I could not awake...
that taught patience.
that was worth the wait.

You are my first born.
The wiggling recipient of first-time mothering...
of underwhelming technique.
of overwhelming love.

For a time you were my only dream.
Then more dreams became your brothers...
to divide my attention.
to multiply my love.

You are my original dream.
The dream that I get to live everyday...
to wake and keep dreaming.
to hug and kiss in wiggling resistance.



Happy 8th birthday Ryan.

I love you.

I can't help but pinch myself...

16 comments:

Halftime Lessons said...

This was fantastic, sweetie...I know exactly how you feel, and you did a beautiful job of portraying it.

Jay

JCK said...

OH...Holly, this touched me deeply. How fast they grow.... He is adorable. And so is his mom!

Aracely said...

That was beautiful Holly, you should frame this for him.

Brittany said...

Happy Birthday! What beautiful words!

WeaselMomma said...

Happy Birthday Ryan. Now if you let Mommy and Daddy take an afternoon nap, they might dream you a little sister.

Liz said...

Beautiful. I posted a tribute poem on my daughters birthday too...what a legacy!

Jenni said...

Oh Holly! What a beautiful post!

Happy Birthday to Ryan! I hope he had wonderful day!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Happy Birthday to both of you.

Beautifully said.

Happy Campers said...

Made me cry...just beautiful Holly. The boys are lucky to have you as Mommy!

Beth Cotell said...

Well said! I think that's exactly how I feel about my first born! Happy Birthday Ryan!

I can't find my blog said...

Happy 8, Ryan.

8 is wonderful!

the planet of janet said...

happy birthday to the first "r"!

Veronica Foale said...

Happy Birthday Ryan!!!

Suzie said...

Awwww happy birthday

Unknown said...

Such a sweet poem. Happy Birthday to your first born! : )

Rachel said...

Happy 8th birthday handsome! Sorry that I missed it!

Hugs to you and Mom

Post a Comment