2:37 PM

Free to a good home

Posted by Texasholly |

We are an at-home family.

I am a stay-at-home mom.

Blog-Stedman now works from home.

My two youngest are not in school.

My oldest is partially home-schooled.

At home. At home. At home. At home.

When blog-Stedman was considering making a change to work entirely from home we had quite a few discussions as to how all this at-home-ness would work.

I was concerned about his ability to work over the usual noise in the house. He dictates reports.

I was concerned about his ability to sleep over the usual noise in the house. He works a lot at night.

I was concerned about his ability to get three square meals a day at the house. He used to eat one meal a day at the hospital.

We plotted, planned and changed.

The boys have adjusted.

Blog-Stedman has adjusted.

I have adjusted.

Scooter has not adjusted.

Scooter?

Yes, our cat.

Scooter, our cat is currently driving us insane. He used to do his own thing during the night. Now that blog-Stedman is up, Scooter spends his night trying to garner attention. When he gets kicked out of the office, he then comes to wake me for this attention.

Don't even THINK about shutting a door to keep him out. He will stand just outside the closed door with a horrendous meowing howl of horror in protest.

Horrendous meowing howl of horror.

He suddenly is very needy.

All that has changed in his world is that now he is receiving MORE attention.

Yet, he is now a bottomless pit of attention neediness...

More.
More.
Meow.

*close the door*

Horrendous meowing howl of horror.

Last night I had a Come to Jesus meeting with my cat.

Today he is on June Cleaver Nirvana, but if things don't improve...

Tomorrow it is Craig's List.

27 comments:

the planet of janet said...

craig's list sounds like the purrfect solution to me.

Manic Mommy said...

My poor cat totally fell off the radar once Gremlin was born. Luckily HRH loves him to death and finds his habit of sleeping on your head while eating your hair to be endearing.

Anonymous said...

Ha-ha! Oh, I love your writing. Oh, your poor cat. :) I got rid of cats too because I just cannot stand the yeowling. Ugh.

Anglophile Football Fanatic said...

You even have a boy cat?! Holly needs a girl dog.

foolery said...

Poor you guys. I have a suggestion, but it's no fun, and I dunno if it'll work.

One night go to bed an hour early. Instead of sleeping, read a book just inside your bedroom door, with the door closed. When Scooter yowls, throw open the door and SQUIRT HIM IN THE FACE with a squirt gun or spray bottle. (I hear that mixing vinegar in the water helps, but I haven't tried it.) Lather, rinse repeat. Do this once a week until he stops yowling a closed doors.

Good luck!

Ash said...

I might have to try foolery's suggestion on getting the Youngest to quit doing "shout outs" in the middle of the night.

Come on - I'll leave out the vinegar.

carmen said...

Sounds like our cat! And how dumb are we? We thought she was lonely. So we just got a kitten to keep her company. So far? Not working!

Happy Campers said...

Hahahahahahahahhaha! Put him in the fruit bowl!

spinning in our own direction said...

and thats why I don't "do" cats..

You know last Friday was the first time I had ever seen that cat in like 3 years so something definatley up with the kitty.. Maybe he needs a friend.. Like an pit bull or something. Oh wait you got that.. Maybe he needs a mountian lion.. nope got that too.. a beaver?? nope .. How about the alligators in the creek?? You could just let him go but i hear he's a scaredy cat.. Yes that was intentional.

Angie Ledbetter said...

Gark! Is there one redeeming quality about those disgusting furballs? Maybe B.S. can take it on a one-way country drive? (Tell the kids he (furball) found a wife and stayed with her, if they ask.) ;)

jill jill bo bill said...

I think we should have a Scooter and Andy(my neurotic dog) Two-for-One give-away. I think they would make a kovely couple for some sucker out there.

Unknown said...

Yeah, Craigslist"ing" woulda already happened at my house. Foolery's suggestion sounds good though!

Jenni said...

You can't trust cats...they are out to get us!

Valarie Lea said...

I think Scooter needs a friend

Jean Stockdale said...

What a funny post. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

ahahahahaha Poor cat. It's amazing the things we never thing of.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Good luck with that. I'm so not a cat person.

Maggie May said...

ugh. we went through this with one of our cats too, but it passed. i hope the same for you!

Anonymous said...

LOL! I love it!

Anonymous said...

TOO FUNNY!!!!

We are a semi-at home family too. 3 of our kids do go to school, but other than that everything else is done at our home. It is crazy and we are insane and I can't wait for winter to BE OVER!

WeaselMomma said...

I could send you our pet mice to keep him company!

Teri said...

I used to have a cat that sort of ruled the house, no matter what WE wanted. And we went along with it.

Cats are smart.

Jennifer S said...

Do they make Horrendous meowing howl of horror collars for cats? I'm sure just one or two shocks would do it.

I kid. Really.

Roger Miller said...

My cat has the Horrendous Meowing Howl of Horror and there is no cure. No shock treatment is shocking enough, no door can be slammed hard enough, and I am sure that if we tried to give him away we would not be able to lie about the Horrendous Meowing Howl of Horror, so we bought earplugs. :)

JCK said...

That would be a lot of getting used to. Our cat? Bangs on the doorknob with his paw. Or comes in the room and starts tearing into books with his teeth...

Louise said...

Animals never adjust. My cats don't meow; they scratch on the door. They go to the garage at night. I am happy, proud and amazed that everyone else is adjusting so well. Especially Blog-Steadman missing that daily hospital meal.

Elizabeth said...

Our cat sleeps between the girls...he goes to bed when they go up and generally stays the night... comes down for breakfast in the morning....he does try to pray with us when we say our family rosary at night, though...that's pretty funny.
Glad all of the rest of you are adjusting...
I vote for putting the cat in the fruit bowl.
Pax, E

Post a Comment