5:09 AM

Eye of the Potluck

Posted by Texasholly |



Is it Monday already?
Seriously?
I feel like someone put a fold in my calendar last week.
There is NO WAY it is already Monday...

Alright then.
Monday it is.
Potluck, of course.

Today the food is being provided by Manic Mommy. She is bringing over her crockpot full of yummy-ness:

To me, potluck = crockpot - especially those 'sweet and sour' meatballs you make with grape jelly and Heinz chili sauce.
I like this idea and have always thought I might be able to tackle this recipe, but have never tried...

Three hours of Rock Band (2) tonight has put me in the mood for another installment of...

Here is where Holly changes the words of an 80s rock song to include "potluck" for her own amusement.

Risin' up back on the street
Did my time, took my chances
Went the distance now I'm back on my feet
Just a man and his will to survive
So many times, it happens too fast
You trade your passion for potluck
Don't lose your grip on the potlucks of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive

(Chorus)
It's the Eye of the Potluck
It's the thrill of the fight
Rising up to the challenge of our potluck
And the last known potlucker
Stalks his prey in the night
And he's watching us all
With the Eye of the Potluck

Face to face, out in the heat
Hangin' tough, stayin' hungry (see! he just needs a good potluck)
They stack the odds until we take to the street
For we kill with the skill to potluck

Risin' up straight to the top
Had the guts, got the glory
Went the distance, now I'm not gonna stop
Just a man and his will to potluck

It's the Eye of the Potluck
It's the thrill of the fight
Rising up to the challenge of our potluck
And the last known potlucker
Stalks his prey in the night
And he's watching us all
With the Eye of the Potluck

The Eye of the Potluck
The Eye of the Potluck
The Eye of the Potluck
The Eye of the Potluck





Thanks to Manic Mommy and her potluck contribution I am better prepared to receive Googlers. This week someone went home unsatisfied after Googling, "potluck crockpot". So sorry!

And to the person that landed on the Nirvana after searching, "Brenda's feet stink" can I just say, "huh?" followed by "why me?".


What is up with Holly's coccyx?



A weekend trip to Houston had me sitting atop a donut for 5 hours on both Saturday and Sunday. It went better than expected--coccyxwise. Can you believe spell check isn't loving the word coccyxwise? Silly spell check.

*
Reid (5) has been putting a lot of pressure on himself to figure out what he wants to be when he grows up. Daily he comes to me expressing the pros and cons of certain potential positions. Around Halloween he was sure that being a Shadow Trooper would work out for him until I shed a little light on the earning potential of a grown man wearing a Star Wars costume 24/7. Real life can be cruel. So Reid went back to think of something that could support his need for Bionicles. He came back and said with relief, "I have figured out what I want to be when I am big!" He went on, "I am going to be a football man and work at Great Wolf Lodge (an indoor water park)." I am hopeful that the Dallas Cowboys draft him so his commute to the Lodge isn't too great.
*

Let's find out who is Peep of the Week!



In response to Room for Holly's Teenage Angst:


If a teen rolls their eyes and no one is around to see, does it still make them feel superior?
For bringing up a very good question and making me giggle, Weaselmomma is Peep of the Week!

What is in Holly's fruit bowl?



Two homemade seal rings that Ryan and I are working on for his second grade Greek festival. One of them has already fallen apart and I am trying to come up with a plan B option for seal ring construction.

May YOU, this Monday..."Rise up to the challenge of our potluck" or some Rocky crap like that...

23 comments:

ShallowGal said...

There's another Great Wolf Lodge in Williamsburg, VA, so he'd be half-way between DC or NC. That gives him 2 additional NFL franchises.

Also I think coccyx-wise is hyphenated.

I'm unusually helpful for a Monday, in my own opinion.

xoxo, ShallowGal

WeaselMomma said...

I'm Peep of the Week ---WooHooo!!!

Miss Lisa said...

yeah, it's Monday. How did Monday get here wasn't yesterday Thursday or something ;)

Jennifer S said...

Not sure I an rise to any challenge until I've had coffee. And maybe more coffee.

Around our house, there's a lot of "You know what I would do if Pokemon were real?" Bionicles are almost a religion, too.

Sadly, unless our boys own Bionicles, or China, there doesn't seem to be much of a career there.

Roger Miller said...

Mondays are always better when they sneak up on you like this. Then you look ahead and see that fun-filled Thursday just around the corner... you know the one with the Uncles you rarely see and all that FOOD!

I hear that Shadow Troopers are on the rise and by 2026 they will be THE job to have! You go Reid!

Courtney said...

Love Reid's choice of profession!

the planet of janet said...

yo, adrian!!!!!!!

I can't find my blog said...

Sounds like you watched a little too much TNT/Rocky marathon this weekend. No wonder you're unprepared for Monday Potluck this week. ;-)

Suzie said...

Whats a seal ring. Is it that singers person doo dads?

Anonymous said...

OMG on two things...
1) you have my singing Eye of the Tiger in my head. I'll get you back, Holly; mark my words! ;D
2) you actually mentioned Bionicles! My 12 YO is also trying to figure out how to incorporate Bionicles into his future. I keep encouraging him to brainstrom how to earn money now and start saving because I would not visit him in jail if he resorted to things like robbing banks to support his Bionicle habit. Hah! He started a Bionicle/LEGO blog this year...can we say obsessed??

Oh and the donut - I sat on a donut for 6 months after giving birth to ds#1 (I had tearing from here to Wazoo), and wore the darn thing out. The pediatrician thought it was very funny. Which is why we now go to a different pediatrician.

Misty said...

that is one of my favorite rock band songs to sing (it's on the new guitar hero world tour, too...) LOVE it... and am forever scarred now.

Think of me as you belt out Panic at the Disco.

Beck said...

I absolutely loved - but probably failed to comment - your teenaged room post. Awesome.
Also, the word "coccyxwise" totally broke my brain. I'm going to use it the next time I play Scrabble.

Eternal Sunshine said...

Shallow Gal stole my thought. I was going to suggest that coccyx-wise would need to be hyphenated.

Not that THAT little tidbit would have earned me Peep of the Week or anything... LOL

My kids wanted to be a Power Ranger and a Garbage Man, respectively. I think they've re-evaluated their options by now...

Angie Ledbetter said...

Hey! This is a sucky Monday. No chicken!?!

Jenni said...

Eyes in my potluck...are we in India?

Unknown said...

LOVING Weaselmomma's comment! HA HA HA!

And... you can make meatballs with grape jelly? That's a new one to me...

Mozi Esme said...

How do you make a seal ring? And what does it have to do with a Greek festival? I was thinking we'd be having Greek food - sounds like a good potluck theme.

Manic Mommy said...

Check me out! I'm famous with the jelly meatball recipe!

We just had HRH's birthday and are so deep in Star Wars stuff, it looks like Skywalker Ranch. I'm hoping Geoge Lucas will refund us the money come college time.

Leanne said...

Monday! Yikes.

Can I steal this line, if I promise to link back to you and give you credit? I LOVE it. 'If a teen rolls their eyes and no one is around to see, does it still make them feel superior?'

It's just too perfect.

Threeundertwo said...

Perfect Peep of the Week! LOL.

Anonymous said...

Weasalmomma is incredibly funny. I might have to quote her.

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

Or,you know, he could be drafted by the Packers and he could work at the Great Wolf Lodge in the Dells. Just sayin'... ;-)

Ash said...

Am I too late for leftovers!? Wait, have these been refrigerated?

Damn my parents!

Oldest wants to grow up to be a Race Car Driver/Dirty Jobs guy - not an actual "doer of the dirty jobs," mind you, but Mike Rowe.

Oh a boy can dream.

Post a Comment