6:12 AM

The thrill of potluck return

Posted by Texasholly |

Oh ya, potluck is back.

I can't promise it is better than ever...



Let's all raise the roof for Monday.

Seriously, your arms are headed up, aren't they. Who can resist a good raise the roof?



Today I am featuring chunky jello in honor of one of my favorite bloggers of all time, Tootsie Farklepants. That is how much I love her.

What does it say about me that I like chunky jello?
Pigs in a blanket, however, ew.
No pigs in a blanket? All chunky jello today? Tootsie, please note the sacrifices we are all making on your behalf.


I can hardly type over the screams of Rhett, "Ryan just called me a baby decipticon!"




I will be glad for Googlesake when Halloween is over. I am getting most search hits off of variations of "June Cleaver Costume". Based on my results you might expect most of your trick-or-treaters dressed as Beaver's mom.

And then there was the "i hate potlucks" search. Wow. So hostile BEFORE arriving here...

What is up with Holly's coccyx?



Quite honestly it is just a pain in the butt.


Dear Starbucks located inside my local Target,
Every Sunday morning I visit you for the same thing. Venti Soy Chai Tea. I also order a child size soy milk for Rhett. Yesterday when I ordered you said, "We are out of soy". Out of soy? You are standing approximately 100 feet from the SOURCE OF SOY. Please, take my $4.60 and run through the Target 10 items or less lane...
Disgruntlingly,
Holly



And now let's find out who is Peep of the Week:



In response to last week's absence of a potluck which ended with the words: Please resume your Monday as if potluck had actually happened...
As if potluck had happened......ok.
Wow thanks for naming me Peep of The Week - you shouldn't have! And I totally guessed what was in Holly's fruit bowl. I mean, how ripe can papaya get, right? And I can't believe how your coccyx is doing! Mine is the exact same way.
And as usual, thanks for the potluck!
--Nanny Goats in Panties
to which this was added:
And congrats to Nanny Goat. The write-in campaign was brilliant!
--Manic Mommy

So for brilliant self promotion (which I COMPLETELY endorse) NGIP is going to share Peep of the Week with her campaign manager, Manic Mommy!

What is in Holly's fruit bowl?



One dead banana, three near death bananas and two lively limes.

Programming Note: This next Wednesday I am going to change "It's not me, it's you" up a little and ask you to link to suggestions of what I should make for dinner. This can be a new post or an old post. This can be a favorite recipe or anything food related (including sending me a personal chef). Please keep in mind that cooking is not my strength and blog-Stedman will only eat beef. Ya, I just upped the ante a little...

May your Monday be filled with lively limes and if anyone can come up with a way for me to use those near death bananas on Wednesday that would be a bonus...

STOP THE PRESSES: About 8 hours after I wrote this potluck yesterday, Jenn emailed me this picture:

With the caption, "Banana Bread for your potluck tomorrow".

Which is proof positive that Jenn is psychic...
Thanks Jenn!

30 comments:

Miss Lisa said...

Yum, I love soy chai lattes!
So did Starbucks follow your suggestion or just stare blindly at you?

Banana bread sounds so yummy right now--curse my boys for eating all the bananas so fast!

Terri Tiffany said...

I think you have to be one of the most creative blogs I've ever seen! Can't believe that about Starbucks!!

Suburban Correspondent said...

No you didn't - it's right here!

Suburban Correspondent said...

I mean, no, you didn't lose the embedded comment form.

And could someone please explain how one participates in the potluck? I feel I discovered this blog about 6 months too late. Why do we keep getting updates on your coccyx? Did something happen to it? My friend broke hers during childbirth once. Ow.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I have to be psychic. I have teenagers!

Burgh Baby said...

Can we have funnel cake for the potluck, too? I'm really in a funnel cake obsessed sort of mood lately, and I don't think I can make it too much longer without some.

Janet said...

that Starbucks & Target story had me laughing SO hard!

Suzie said...

I hate star bucks!

Ash said...

But how many hits did you get for "sexy" June Cleaver Costumes?

Me, I'm going as a Sexy Seagull, with feathers in all the right places.

Happy Potluck!! May I offically put in a request for a vegan item next time? And no, chuncky jello doesn't count - cow hooves, and all.

Em

P.S. tell Rhett baby decepticons are much cuter than chickens. Oh, who am I kidding, is that even possible?

the planet of janet said...

ohhhhh i want funnel cake too! i can't pass up a funnel cake stand without drooling.

*slurp*

Rachel said...

No funnel cake. I want roasted corn and sausage on a stick... what? we weren't going off on a fair food kick?

Banana Bread, yum.

Anonymous said...

Just for you I googled "banana beef recipes". I came up with a Banana Beef Brownie cocktail. (seriously, see it here http://www.idrink.com/v.html?id=4066)
Banana liqueur with a beef bullion cube in it. Mmmm.
And now on to the shameless self promotion you encouraged. I have another dollhouse Heidi post up just waiting for your approval.

Jennifer S said...

The Starbucks story has me shaking my head.

Jenn's photo was well-timed, since you have all of those near-dead bananas...(I have a great recipe if you need one...)

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

I love that your disgruntled letter to Starbux is within the "whats up with Holly's coccyx" section.

I can't find my blog said...

You should see the Google hits I'm getting from being headless. I suppose it will come to an end soon, seeing as Halloween is on Friday.

Anonymous said...

I love your potlucks... And I'm so excited about the It's not me, it's you... I have an article I wrote all about banana recipes that I'm now planning to post on the blog... all because of you (just in case, you know, people are looking for someone to blame) ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, ya, I've got my hands in the air like I just don't care.

But I do care. I really do.

Misty said...

Limes are awesome... if only they could breathe life into your deceased bananas... or better yet- if only Jenn had your bananas for her bread.
Sad times...

but really, in re: to target- did you tell them that?

Aracely said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aracely said...

When Oprah is faced with the tough decision of choosing Texas Holly or me as her new BFF, I'll make sure to direct her to this post. When she reads about all this Texas beef consumption Texas Holly will be SOO dumped!

tee hee hee

Anglophile Football Fanatic said...

I can't imagine a June costume. There's something odd in that one.

Anonymous said...

It's a weird world when Starbucks runs out of Soy in the middle of a Target. Just that is a microcosm of what's screwed up in our world.

But not Miss Holly! never Miss Holly! Did you get your Chai?

Anonymous said...

I hope this is the right place to post my suggestion for what you can do with that rotting banana. Since banana bread usually requires two bananas, what to do with just one? Bananas Foster! A great, oldy timey dessert that is overdue to be reintroduced to the modern world. Simply melt butter (real butter, about a tablespoon or so) over a low flame/heat, and once melted add some brown sugar (about a spoon scoop or so, depending on how much of a sweet tooth you have). Stir until kinda melty and bubbly, then add sliced banana and stir to coat (sliced like you would do for cereal). Let the bananas cook a little bit, about a minute, then stir in some rum. A nice sized splash. Then get out the matches and set that combo on fire! When you feel like it, blow it out (the earlier you blow, the more alcohol you have left). One more good stir and it's ready for ice cream!

Roger Miller said...

Hmmm, chunky Jell-o = Good, Pigs in a blanket = not so good? I think Tootsie has been to one too many bad potlucks, I mean pigs in a blanket is just plain awesome!!

Can you tell I'm in a funk? That was so bad, I may just edit myself - who am I kidding, it would be so not real!

Anyway, I am glad to see the Potluck back, silly me didn't pay attention I guess. :)

For your recipe on Wednesday, do the kids have to like it as well? :)

Have a great evening.

Manic Mommy said...

Woo-Hoo! Co-Peep! It's like a dream come true!

For next week's potluck, I'm bringing lame duck.

My question is what's *above* Holly's dying bananas? I'm going with fruit flies.

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

Hey, thanks so much for the Peepy shout out! Now I have to go and split the winnings with Manic Mommy.

And it looks like I just missed her here, so I'll pop on over to her place.

Unknown said...

I am so late to the potluck that I am sure those beaters are already licked. Damn.

stephanie said...

My freezer is the local graveyard for bananas; you want banana bread? Give me a few hours, I can feed your readership.

Your Mondays make my week.

JCK said...

"Wow. So hostile before arriving here."

Too, too funny.

Love you!

shrink on the couch said...

Hint, hint: Lime juice makes a great marinade for beef fajitas. Just sayin.

Post a Comment