8:21 AM

Oh the drama...

Posted by Texasholly |


I am being interrupted by drama. The drama that can only be wrought by a distraught 2 year old frustrated by lack of parental understanding. He has two torn stickers and is insistent that I do something about it. I am trying everything, but nothing seems to be an appropriate response. Do you want them stuck together? Do you want them stuck together in this way? Do you want them stuck on a piece of paper? He is screaming and pleading and crying. His world is coming to an end over an unmatched pair of tiny sticky papers.

I should not be surprised. 6 months ago I had to ban bananas in the house because he was offended by peeling them. In offended I mean a 20 minute tantrum of horror because the banana peel was peeled too far down (I think...I never really did figure out the whole banana issue). So being a pick-my-battles kinda girl, I just said no to bananas until it blew over.

He also exhibited early bath issues. From months 3-15 he would STAND screaming in the sink as I hosed him off. Give me a break on the standing...I tried to cut him off at the knees only to have an increase in audible response. Then one day he wanted to bathe with brothers and all was well with the bath.

Then there was a nightly bottle. He demanded it. He would protest into the night without it. He would refuse a watered down bottle (I too, thought that was a brilliant mommy move on my part). When I mentioned bedtime, he mentioned bottle. When I mentioned bottle, he mentioned bedtime. Our nightly routine was a dream as long as it included the bottle. A few weeks after his second birthday I pointed out that he was 2 and too old for a bottle. He asked the first night, I responded, "you are two!" and drama over. He laid down and went to sleep never to mention the bottle except in his cute little teasing way...."bottle?" accompanied by grin.

I suspect drama is firmly implanted in the genetic code. I suspect that he received this special trait from his "X" chromosome. I suspect we will have drama issues for years to come. But along with crazy drama comes crazy drama as exhibited by the above bacon fang picture. He is such a silly soul. I try to be thankful for the whole dramatic package.

As for the stickers? He is sitting quietly on my lap with his head on the edge of the computer quietly watching me type while clutching the unmatched pair of tiny sticky papers...this drama is not over.

23 comments:

Happy Campers said...

Maybe another helping of birdseed would help? I'm just sayin'....

slow panic said...

i love the picture. i have so been there. the two or three year old tantrum and pleading that you fix something and you have no clue what you are fixing.

it's so fun.

A Mom Two Boys said...

Isn't it funny the stuff that sets them off? And by funny I mean weird, not Ha Ha funny, because I KNOW how frustrating it can be! Dylan, too, is a bit dramatic. And by a bit, I mean A WHOLE LOT. Seriously, you need to come out here for my, er his, party. You don't HAVE to bring your kids, but they'd have fun! :0)
Don't you want to fly with them again? Oh, and I'll get your MeMe tag done today! I promise!

Jennifer S said...

Great picture. And don't worry, in a few years, they'll be more than happy to explain. Exactly. What they want from you.

Christine said...

My four year-old recently discovered the power of drama. Zero to sixty in the blink of an eye.

Tootsie Farklepants said...

Just know that someday it shall pass. And you will laugh about it. We just did last night.

Jameil said...

lmao @ no to bananas. were you always this patient or did you become so by consistently adding children to your household?

Kellan said...

I know this child!!! My Alexis is that same child, and fortunately has grown out of much of those episodes. But, she too would cry if the banana was peeled wrong, the wrong colored straw was put in her drink, her drink glass was filled to not the exact right level, etc..... it was exhausting and thank goodness - it seems to have passed. So, that is what I hope for you - that this too will pass!

Have a great weekend. See you later. Kellan

Happy Campers said...

We have a banana issue too! Except Reese's problem is if the peels touch his hands while he holds it. So I peel a bit, CUT off the peeled parts, he eats it, then I peel & cut more skin...it's exhausting.

junglemama said...

What fun! Years down the road, you'll laugh. :)

JCK said...

My GIRL was like this at 2 as well. Actually, she was born that way. You are right it is in the X chromosome.

Hilarious picture. I loved the bottle story. I can picture his little grin as he says, "bottle?"

S said...

My 10-year-old is just like this. Oh, the drama is RIGHT!

Today he melted down at lunch because, speaking of bananas, his banana had a little bit of goop at one end. His world was completely shattered until the moment when that end was cut off -- and then everything was sweetness and light again.

Mandy said...

OMG!! Your kid, too??? LOL! My son had the same issue with bananas. If I cut them in half, he flipped out. he wanted it whole. It gets better.

Heather Goodwin said...

You are so wise to pick your battles. There are some days when nothing you can do is right. It is frustrating, but almost miraculous in a way, when these little creautures who do nothing but eat, sleep, poop and look adorable suddenly emerge into little people with thoughts and moods and opinions all their own.

Malinthemiddle.wordpress.com

Texasholly said...

Hmmmm...I may need to look into the world of banana-phobias in the little set. It sounds like babies are born with banana issues. I promise to publish research here!

I love all the stories!

Lynn said...

Be thankful that he is not a girl, and that he will never be a teenage girl...talk about drama.

kontan said...

Oh yes, I remember the drama. Pretty difficult to forget it was only a few hours ago that my 11 and 7 year old were engaged in their own drama. *sigh* I'm so not about the drama.

Jennifer said...

Hi there, I'm glad that you found me on 365. I cant totally relate to the banana thing. My girls were/are the same way. They turned 2 Oct.6th. We still have issue with the banana... who will peel it, how much it should be peeled... should it even be peeled at all. If something goes wrong they refuse to eat that one and want a new one. UH!! Toddlers, amazing and dramatic!! :)
I look forward to reading more of your blog. :)
Thanks for the comment.
Hugs, Jenn

PS May I add you to my blog roll, please?

Joan said...

Who knew that drama wasn't only a "girl thing." Hopefully the role of Drama Prince will be short-lived.

Liza on Maui said...

Oh I wish I can help with the stickers. Any chance of buying a new one exactly the same and switching it? Yes, I am a mom who indulges her kids :)

Great photos! And love the goats :)

Rachael said...

I think it's a baby of the family thing. My Ben does the same stuff.

And SHHH don't tell anyone, but I still let him have a pacifier at night. Dreadful, I know. He is WAY too old. But, he's the baby...

Courtney said...

We are having the pacifier war right now. I had to laugh at the banana story, how funny! Thanks for stopping by!

carmen said...

Oh, do I know drama! Eight-yr.old girl #2 is the Drama Queen in our house. We actually call her DQ. One day last week she requested frozen waffles for breakfast. As soon as they were set before her, she burst into tears because what she REALLY wanted was a breakfast burrito! I guess I need to brush up on my mind-reading skills. :)

Post a Comment