9:44 AM

My drug of choice is motherhood...

Posted by Texasholly |

Today I feel like that 80s PSA: This is a brain. This is a brain on drugs. I am riding the highs and lows of my chosen drug, motherhood. This mind-altering drug creates emotional polarity. One event that prior to addiction would evoke amusement, now creates opposing, gut-wrenching reactions of elation coupled with horridity*. Why today to search my soul? Did I change my last diaper (Oh Lord that will be the day)? Did one of my children just get accepted to an Ivy League school (they are 2, 4 and 6 so please give me some time)? Did they form a committee and find the cure for the common cold (again, lets get some perspective here, 2,4,6!)? No, we have our first loose tooth. Yes, this is what has me spiraling on a mommytrip. That is how powerful the drug is. It has taken a low maintenance girl in the emotion department and created this monster-bear. Prior to children, I made fun of Hallmark commercials, now I tear up when I buy a card. Prior to children, I would sit with my mostly guy friends mocking the drama surrounding other girls, now I am creating my own drama and writing about it daily. Prior to children, life had some meandering, gentle bumps and curves, now I am frantically clutching the siderails on the ride of my life. Was it the pregnancy hormones? Was it the mother-child bond? Was it the adrenaline rush of the ride? What caused this addiction? For that I have no answer. For that I will have to search. For that I could start a local chapter of MA, Motherhood Anonymous. I don't want to cure my addiction, but maybe learn to manage it. So what about the impending tooth fairy visit? Please, dear fairy, can you give me just one more day to adjust...

*I realize this is not a word, but someday someone will google it and find this and use it and then another and another and someday you will use it with full knowledge that you heard it here first.

14 comments:

Jennifer S said...

I endorse your new word. Sounds good to me.

Oh, the first tooth. I love their little *gappy grins when they've lost a tooth and are so proud of it. How loose is it? You know this, I'm sure, but it's okay to push the slow-motion button and savor the small, deep, sweet pain of the day.

*Also a new word. Just trying to help.

slow panic said...

oh girl, how does it happen so fast? my oldest has peach fuzz under his arm pits. i am totally freaking out.

waaga said...

Congrats on your first tooth. The twins have so far lost a grand total of 13 (1 was pulled and Maddie is now in braces). We googled the Tooth Fairy a few years ago to find out what she does with all those teeth she collects each night and discovered that she turns them into the clouds you see in the sky the next day. I guess on rainy days where the clouds are gray, she collected a lot of teeth that had cavities! Anyways the kids love going outside the next morning (after checking their pillows of course) to look for their "tooth cloud." It's a fun story to share with them.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

This is a great post. We did our first tooth last summer, and that was a trip-its dangling there and I just wanted to grab it out really quickly...but no, that is tantamount to axe murder and frowned upon in 6 year old society...

Momisodes said...

MA- love it :) Good luck with the tooth...

Rachael said...

Tangential, but...

Just the other day, Kristen asked about some commercial on TV admonishing pot smoking and asked "what are they talking about?" So I had to give the little "just say no to drugs" speech. And then I told her about the commercials from my day -- you know, the "this is your brain on drugs" fried egg ones you refer to. She thought that was all very funny and seriously must have thought I was so very old and dinasourish. (Which is ever as mush a word as horridity!)

I'm having thinking about chucking the kiddy potty in the trash and am having my own little coflicted mommy moment about that too.

The tooth fairy doesn't bite. You'll be okay! :)

JCK said...

I think your addiction is a blessing and of course makes you a wonderful mom. How exciting for a first loose tooth! And if you didn't have this addiction, you wouldn't have anything about horridity to write about. See your theory is already working!

A Mom Two Boys said...

Gak! A loose tooth! I can't even imagine. I'll sob my day away when that happens for the first time.
I totally get what you mean. And I'm going to add horridity to my new list of favorite words, which, started today, includes spazzazoid from Sarcastic Mom.

Kellan said...

Time flys - don't close your eyes! Take care - Kellan

Burgh Baby said...

If a loose tooth has you this riled up, it's going to be a blast watching you freak out at high school graduation! It takes at least a hug to get me high on motherhood. ;-)

Test said...

I like the new word! I totally know what you mean....

btw, I can't believe I forgot The Jeffersons!

Can you shoot me an email? napwarden@yahoo.com

KiS said...

i tried to buy a 1st birthday card today and couldn't. i picked up two, walked around the store and ad to put them back. i just couldn't handle it.

oh and you've been meme'd-link back to me to copy and paste.

Candi said...

Good times :) It does go really fast and the tears just keep coming faster as the years go by. Oh, remember when you give money for the tooth, they expect that same amount each and every time! Be careful :)

Jameil said...

word creation is so in. i do it all the time. i don't think age helps much either because the older i get, the more weepy AND I HATE IT!!! tears are so wack.

Post a Comment