5:30 AM

A guest bearing a GIFT!

Posted by Texasholly |

I’m filling in for Holly today--because she invited me, and also because I’m positive that she needs a break. She has to! Look at all she does. This blog, Burbmom.net, raising kids, wife...the list goes on and on.

So I’m providing the break, and though I know you’ll miss her, I hope you’ll forgive her for the hiatus and read my little story.

There’s also the added benefit that I’m giving away a prize! Now, that’s motivation, isn’t it, because everyone loves free things?

Here we go...

Once upon a time, there was a girl who loved books. She loved writing. Crazy, I know, but she actually enjoyed essay assignments and treasures a paper she earned an A- on because the professor wrote on it that she should never change her captivating writing style.

Book Nerd, that’s her.

This girl grew up to be a woman, earned her teaching credential [in English, of course], fell in love, got married, had a career as a teacher, had kids [2], became pregnant again and was rapidly losing her hair from trying to juggle...er...life.

She moved with her growing family from the Sacramento Valley to the San Francisco Bay Area and spent the next six months in a rental house, trying to hold down the food that just wanted to creep back up her esophagus, killing the swarming ants that just wouldn’t go away, and taking care of her boys while her husband’s career blossomed.

She began to write...just to keep her sanity.

But, again, as it tends to do, life marched on despite the vomiting and ants. A third boy was born, and though the woman was hailed as a ‘pura mujer’ by her grandmother-in-law because she had birthed so many boys--and we all know how much more valuable and honored boys are over girls, right? [Argh! Don’t get me started...]-- writing took a back burner in the woman’s life.

The family bought a house in a different Bay Area city and moved, time passed, and finally the woman sold a children’s story. It became a book, and then she had another baby--this time--gasp--a girl. Her reputation as a ‘real woman’ faltered [only slightly], but she kept writing, and the family tried to put down some roots.

Only they didn’t.

Life intervened again. They ended up going back to that appealingly HOT Sacramento Valley. One thing led to another and--well--they had one more child. A fourth boy. The woman’s ‘pura mujer’ status was firmly in place again, but alas, her hair was thinning and she was rapidly losing grey matter with each passing day. Her brain was turning to mush. Again, she tried to find balance.

She started writing again, but sadly, with her daily life surrounded by children, she was drained and, as they say, had lost her muse. She found she didn’t want to write children’s stories. No. She wanted to write about adults! About people who swore occasionally [but only in Spanish, and only when pushed to the very limit]! Mystery! Sex!

Thus her fictional alter-ego was born. And she was called: Dolores ‘Lola’ Cruz.

Lola is who this woman would have been had she been born Latina. With a crazy desire to be a private investigator [and an even crazier family]. If she was sexy. Sassy. A black belt in kung fu.


It took six years from writing the first word to publication [did I say the book was released today?]. It took writing in the wee hours of the morning. It took understanding from her family. It took more balance than she’d ever thought possible when she started teaching again, had her five kids to carpool around, and wrote during every possible stolen moment. It took a move from California to Cowboy-land [aka Texas] so that she could write full time and the family could still maintain their quality of life.

And now, on the day of her book release, she’s realized that she’s many things: A woman. A mom. A wife. A teacher. A daughter. A friend.

And an author. Finally!

She persevered. She held true to her dreams. She modeled these things for her children. And her second career was realized.

And, thankfully, she still has hair.


The End



And now, here’s the really good part... One lucky commenter will be randomly chosen to win a copy of this woman’s book! All you have to do is tell us all what your very favorite book is? The one you escape to when you’re in that ‘Calgon, take me away’ moment.

Also, be sure to stop by MisaRamirez.com to enter the February contest to win other fun prizes [of course for those, you have to buy and read Living the Vida Lola, but it’s a really fun book, so go ahead and indulge!].



Note from Holly:
Ya'll know I can't stay away...
Misa Ramirez's debut novel Living the Vida Lola is being released TODAY, January 20th. So...


Leave a comment naming your favorite book to win a copy OR go buy it today!

43 comments:

Marinka said...

It's really hard for me to pick just one, but I love Toni Morrison's Sula.

Congratulations on the publication of your book! You're in fantastic company.

WeaselMomma said...

Congrats and count me in! My all time favorite is "Man's Search For Meaning" By Dr. Victor Frankel

Ash said...

Wow - congratulations on all the dedication and hard work paying off - fantastic!

Favorite book? How about favorite author: Anne Rivers Siddons, especially her early stuff. About the South - makes me a little less homesick.

Enjoy your day!

Doublebanker said...

Anything by Stephen King!

jill jill bo bill said...

Congrats! I would love to read it! And I love me some Patricia Cornwell.

Shauna said...

I want it. Me. me. Me.

Happy Campers said...

I have so many favorite books, but lately *sadly* I love the Twilight series! :)

spinning in our own direction said...

WOW! I mean seriously WOW!!5 Kids and you wre able to accomplish your dream.. Holy CRAP!! I bow to you!!
My fav is Little earthquakes. If I want fun reading.
The Shack if I want to think.
I hope I win I hope I win. yep Pick me. Shauna didn't even leave her book, does she actually read.. ha ha j/k shauna

Jennifer said...

wow. that is a GREAT story of how you wrote your book. I only have three kids and don't always remember if I brushed my teeth or not. lol YOU GO GIRL!! :)

I would LOVE to win this book, I've been looking for a new book to get addicted to and LOVE!! the last books I have read are Twilight series, which are really good and addicting. lol

PICK ME!! PICK ME!! :) ... please.

xoxoxo have a good day!

Miche said...

I love all books, I always have 2 or 3 going at once. congrats on the book, you inspire me, I also have 5 kids (4 girls 1 boy) and need to realize my dreams can come true. My favorite as a child and the one I love to read to my children, Harold and the Purple crayon.

Anonymous said...

what a fabulous story - and CONGRATULATIONS!!! I can't wait to see it on my local bookshelf! My favorite book is "Not a penny more, Not a penny less" ... just picked it up again for like the 12th time at the library last week!

Valarie Lea said...

Ok, don't think badly of me, but I am not a big reader, and the last thing I actually read was the Twilight series. :) So I am getting there, I just don't have alot of time to read.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

My favorite book is usually the one I'm currently reading--and I don't usually re-read; there are too many new books out there. I did love The Time-Traveler's Wife though.

Congratulatons on an amazing accomplishment!

Carmen said...

My favourite book is Playing James by Sarah Mason. I laugh so hard I cry *every* time I read this book. And I can happily read through to the last page then turn back to page 1 and read it again immediately. I can't do that with any other book. My favourite series author is David Eddings.

Thanks for the giveaway!

angie said...

Congratulations on the book! It looks like a great read. I really can't choose a favorite. It depends on my mood on what is my favorite of the moment. I guess right NOW, my favorite (and guilty pleasure!) is Twilight. The Twilight series as a whole is my current favorite. :)

Teri said...

That is so cool. Congrats!

My favorite book is anything written by Harlan Coben. Love his stuff.

Angie Ledbetter said...

For poetry, I'd soak in the bubble bath with Billy Collins or Natasha Trethewey. :) Fiction would probably be To Kill A Mockingbird.

CONGRATULATIONS ON ACHIEVING YOUR DREAM, MOM WRITER WOMAN!

Aria said...

So, I'm reading and going, omg, cause I spent 17 years in Vacaville, which, as you know is right between Sacto and SF on 80 ~ the real 80, not 680 or 780 or 280... and I've now been in Texas for 2 1/2 years... and I too have a rich fantasy life that should be a book, but you Did It, and that is fan-friggin'-tastic, and even though it's completely condescending cause I don't even know you... I'm so proud of you for getting it done and out there! Yay YOU! Thanks for guesting, so I could enjoy you! Great day to you Lady (and to you Holly how've y'all been?) and congrats on the publication!!!

Aria said...

... And cause I was so blown away, I totally forgot to answer the Q...
I have two, the bibliophile that I am... The Witching Hour by Anne Rice... and Magical Thinking by Augustin Burroughs. Love 'em both equally.

Anonymous said...

Aria, thank you!!!!! Where in Texas? We Californians need to stick together!

Anonymous said...

Dang, that's impressive - congratulations!

My all-time favorite is To Kill a Mockingbird. But maybe this one could be my new favorite?

Anonymous said...

Loved the Witching Hour, though it's been years.

And, Angie, To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my all time favorites.

My husband has read Harlen Coben. Looks like I'll have to read him, too, Teri!

So many great books were mentioned. I read Twilight when if first came out and really liked it too! I'm behind in the series, but will get it finished one of these days!

Anonymous said...

I hope so, Kelliebean!!!

Anonymous said...

So I wanna know how you all found this fantastic June Cleaver Nirvana blog. I love Holly!!!!!

Anonymous said...

JM Barrie's The Little White Bird. How's that for random?

Debbie said...

The Poisonwood Bible is my favorite.

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

Wow. That's a lot of boys. ;-)

When I need an easy read and life's just getting to be too much, I have my Mom come watch my boys and sneak to the library to read one of the Plum Series by Janet Evanovich. They're funny, a quick read, and positively brainless. (In a good way.)

Kara D said...

Cool giveaway! It's tough to choose a favorite book. I really used to like the Stephanie Plum series, as far as light-weight stuff goes. I guess my favorite is Mrs. Dalloway. I studied it in a very good English class and really came to like it.

the planet of janet said...

wow. i can't pick just one. i love love love the books by janet evanovich and joshilyn jackson. oh and "water for elephants" and "the time traveler's wife" and "the secret life of bees" and and and ...

i should stop now.

Tami Wyatt said...

My favorite book is "12 Times Blessed" by Jacqueline Mitchard. I have read it over and over....

Anonymous said...

Crossing to Safety, Wallace Stegner

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your book! Love the back story.

Wally Lamb's "I Know this much is True" is one of my all time faves. But, there are many more...too many more.

Anonymous said...

LIving the Vida Lola is definitely akin to the Stephanie Plum series, only I like to think Lola's a bit more intentional and smarter. =) And it's in many libraries, and hopefully in one near you!

Anonymous said...

The Poisonwood Bible is another one I have and haven't yet read! Ack! I need to get busy!!!

I really liked Wally Lamb's first two books and want to try his new one.

Anonymous said...

planet of janet gal...I love all of those books, too!

MommyTime said...

Congratulations and kudos! I know how hard this process is -- not just the writing, but the getting a publisher. You should be proud. I have such a hard time choosing a favorite book, thanks to my job (English prof), but I do adore reading *Jane Eyre* every time I pick it up. And my most recent favorite is *Interred with Their Bones*.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! That is SO exciting!!
I read so many books, that it's hard for me to have a favorite....so, randomly, I'll pick...um.... Bitter is the New Black.

But really, I just want to read yours now!!

Jenni said...

Oooh! My favorite is The Red Tent!

Congrats!!!

Anonymous said...

Excellent!
I've two faves - the virgin suicides and Lorna Doone. I can never quite decide which one I like more.

Anonymous said...

I have many to name but won't name them here as I might get to be the winner! LOL! thanks.

Anonymous said...

I really loved The Red Tent, too, Jenni. Read it with Book Club and it was so interesting.

Jane Eyre is one of my all time favorites, too, MommyTime. It's a classic.

Vic, I haven't read either of those books [saw the movie The Virgin Suicides, though].

Good luck, Linda!

Cancer Mommy said...

If you're looking for a total escape, and an easy read, pick up any Janet Evanovich book. My oncology nurse got me hooked during chemo. My all-time favorite book, however, is "A Tale of Two Cities". Ever since high school.

Congratulations on finishing your book, and following your dreams! And with 5 kids and life getting in the way, that's a true accomplishment.

Pick me, pick me!

Anonymous said...

My favorite book? That's hard. Since you clarified it with a "calgon take me away" appeal - then of course it would have to be Sophie Kinsella's Shopoholic series. I love stepping into Becky Brandon (nee' Bloomwood)'s (designer) shoes and shopping around the world!

Congrats on the new book...I can't wait to read it :)

Post a Comment