9:55 PM

Merry Christmas to you...I think.

Posted by Texasholly |



I love Christmas cards.

The getting more than the giving.

Years ago, prior to children I was a Christmas card snob. You know the ones. The people that expect that the cards should be signed, NOT PRINTED. The people that expect a personal note, NOT A GENERAL GREETING. The people that have WAY too much time on their hands...

Yep, that was me.

Times have changed along with expectations. I now send out PRINTED cards with GENERAL GREETINGS. I squeal in delight when I receive a card, any card.

I am a BIG fan of the photo card.

I search the pictures for clues of change. A few years ago I noticed AN ADDITIONAL CHILD in one of my best friend's Christmas photos. Turns out she had a baby and forgot to tell me. Ooops! Big mistake. I am good for super cute baby gifts especially if it can be frilly and pink.

This year I opened a photo card that struck me odd. It wasn't that the family wasn't handsomely dressed and posed perfectly, it was that they were TOO PERFECT. Like an iStock Photo family. I stared at the picture and realized that the reason it seemed like stock photography was that I didn't recognize the family at all.

I grabbed the envelope to make sure I opened something addressed to me. Yep. The holiday greetings were mine. I opened the card to read the printed signatures and that didn't help either. I don't know these people. Oh well. Cute family...up on the wall they go with the others.

Yesterday I was at my in-laws house. I was looking through their Christmas cards when all of a sudden I came across my mystery family card. My mother-in-law had received one of the cards too!

Me: Who are these people?

MIL: I have no idea.

Great.

Is it possible that I have uncovered a new trend of Christmas card spam?

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

We used to get a Christmas card from a family we don't know. A picture might have helped.

Rachel said...

ha ha ha ;-) WE've gotten those too.

Merry Christmas darlin' girl.

Emmy said...

ROFL! Be careful, the USPS might be given some hope there...wouldn't they just loooove it if ppl were to start paying whatever the ridiculous first class stamp rate to spam others? Might just save our economy? Long-range effects, baby!

Okay, enough of that tangent. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

At least you're getting cards. Even if they are anonymous . . .

Maybe they'll follow up with a New Year's card with all of them facing the camera . . .

Now I have a wicked idea . . .

Have a great day!

WeaselMomma said...

Merry Christmas from my house to yours.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you Holly and to your lovely crew!!

Anonymous said...

We never receive extra mail from people we know, let alone people we don't know. How funny!

Jenny Gardiner said...

Hi Holly! Wishing you a Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas that is a funny story!

jenn said...

Merry Christmas!

Happy Campers said...

That's GENIUS!!!

carmen said...

How weird!! Merry Christmas to you and yours, Holly! I'm one of the slackers that didn't get one single card mailed this year. And I'm feeling incredibly guilty. I'm hopeful for a New Year's card, but don't hold your breath....

the planet of janet said...

awesome.

merry christmas to the nirvana family from the planet family (you DO know us, right?)

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

It was my family. JK. It would be funny though.

Gretchen said...

I would totally take credit for that card, except that "perfect" and "stock photo" is NOT the way you would ever describe my family photos!

ShallowGal said...

I'm still a Christmas card snob. I hand address every envelope and write something on every card even if it's just xoxo or the year.

Of course most of my cards don't get out until mid-April. It's a trade-off.

xoxo, SG

stephanie said...

Slightly creepy, but I find it hilarious that you displayed it anyway. You really do love the cards :)

spinning in our own direction said...

We got one this year also that was someone I had no idea who they were.. It was hand addressed to the Mullin Family b/c I thought the same thing hmm must be a realator or something. However I threw mine in the trash. see I am a display snob only pic cards go up in the display and only PEOPLE I KNOW!!!

Jenni said...

Oh, do you like our card? I thought that since we are like blog family now that your whole actual family should be on our list! I think I hit your cousins, neighbors, and coworkers past and present as well! Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

Huh? Okay, that's just weird. But hey, at least they are spreading Christmas cheer! : )

Hope you and yours had a great Christmas Holly!

Louise said...

I think only you could be found with the latest type of spam!

It's kind of like Facebook friends. Sometimes you want to ask, "Why are you asking me to be your friend? Do I know you? Are you just trying to get more friends? (Or more cards.)"

Jennifer S said...

Okay, so evil me now thinks it would be hilarious to pick random people out of the phone book and start sending them holiday cards.

Shauna said...

I am totally doing that next year....just sending out an anonymous card with a picture from behind...see who my real friends are....

Teri said...

That is so funny. Reminds me when I got married in 1982. I sent a shower invitation and a wedding invitation to a person that my mom worked with. We found her address in the phone book. It wasn't until after my wedding that I received the most polite note congratulating me on my wedding but apologizing for not knowing me! Eeeks!

JCK said...

THAT is hysterical. It hasn't happened to us yet, but I imagine it will...

Merry Christmas, Holly!

Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing] said...

Um, yeah. That's really weird.

Roger Miller said...

I'm shocked that you didn't recognize us. :)

Christmas card spam is pretty dangerous, just remember to not respond, otherwise next year, it will be 1,000 anonymous Christmas Cards. Of course if you are feeling lonely, it might be a good idea.

Post a Comment