Yesterday I went to vote. I took Ryan(6) with me. Usually I early vote while dragging all three boys with me so just taking Ryan seemed like a treat. He was very interested in the process. We talked about the election and what was involved. I described how there were a lot of people in our country and quite a few wanted to be president. I told him how this election narrows down the potential presidents to just two. We discussed how we would return in November. I spoke about what was on the ballot and how I was voting for people to help run our city, Texas and the country.

He closely watched me vote. He read the Spanish words on the ballot that he recognized. He helped me put my ballot in the machine. We watched the machine accept my ballot. He got a "I voted" sticker.

I was patting myself on the back for the beautiful learning experience that I had just provided my child. On the way home we continued the discussion. He then said, "When do we find out if you win?"

"Honey, I am not running for president of the United States."

"Why not?"

"I already have a job."

"Please mommy! Please, just think about it. I really want you to be president."

"That is really sweet of you, but no, I am not running for president."

"Don't you want to be president?"

"Well...yes, I guess, but right now I am busy."

"I really want you to be president."

"Then I should run later. I could run for president when you are older. I could run for president when you can vote for me."

"I'm NOT going to vote for you!"

"What? Why aren't you going to vote for me?"

"Because I am going to vote for myself."

There you have it dear reader. The official slate for POTUS 2028: Holly vs. Ryan. Don't tell anyone, but I am voting for myself as well...

22 comments:

Meg said...

Great story! Have a great week!

Courtney said...

That is too funny. I took my kids to vote as well and Taylor was asking questions but just seemed confused by it all.

A Mom Two Boys said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A Mom Two Boys said...

I totally spelled something wrong in my first comment and it ruined the whole thing...so here we go again.

Can I be your campaign manager for that too? And when you win, I want to be Secretary of the Interior. M'Kay? Thanks.

Oh, and it's kind of freaking me out that your first two comments are Meg & Court (AKA Me and My
Sister). weird...

Jennifer S said...

Oh that is so funny. I'm afraid you've helped his future campaign with all the cute pictures. Cue the montage...

Anonymous said...

That is perfect. And, good for Ryan to believe in the power of the write in vote!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I may not know your platform, but I'll vote for you. Esp. if you institute a nationwide siesta time so all slaving moms get a break.

Unknown said...

And there ya have it. The confusion of politics. That's why I've never voted.

Don't tell anybody.

Kellan said...

How cute - what a cute story!! It all confuses me a bit too - I can't blame him. Take care - see ya! Kellan

cce said...

That's a cute kid you've got their and shamelessly opportunistic I might add. But come to think of it, if I was running against my own mother I'd probably vote for me too.

Tootsie Farklepants said...

That's classic!

Cynthia said...

Way to vote Chicky!

Miss Lisa said...

Oh that will be the election--mommy vs. son!

Jen said...

This is too funny, and I love that he'd vote for himself!

Momo Fali said...

He even sounds like a politician!

Kellan said...

Hey - Thanks for the prayers for our baby - we appreciate it! See you soon. Kellan

Kristen said...

Way to go Mama! Way to teach them early how important voting is!!

Great job!

Laski said...

Classic! What awesome hopes he has for his mom and for himself!

I took little J with me and he kept us all entertained with his babbling--the lines were so long! I told him he could be president one day while we were waiting. I mean, he's only 6 months, but why not start 'em early! The lady behind me said, "Oh please, don't do that to him." The older man in front of me said, "Heck, he'd probably do a better job than any of our choices thus far." Oh boy . . .

Momisodes said...

Heheh, that is cute :) So great you brought him with you!

Amy said...

Love this story!

MoscowMom said...

That was so funny! He's a smart boy! I took the girls to the primary for Democrats Abroad here in Moscow; they weren't as interested as he was... They had more fun eating the free ice cream.

Purple Teacup said...

I will vote for you, unless Ryan picks Clayton as his running mate.

Post a Comment