8:08 AM

Celebrating 7 years of Ryan...

Posted by Texasholly |


Dear Ryan,

Today you turn seven. That seems like a lot to me. That seems like a very big number to assign to the years you have been mine. You are my first. You were my only for a brief time. You have been my greatest joy. You have been my biggest challenge. I have been told if your energy can be harnessed for good, you will change the world. You have already changed mine.

You have achieved childhood milestones according to textbook, yet there is nothing average about you. You are an extraordinary boy. A boy whose spirit shouts. A boy whose enthusiasm can not sit still. A boy whose ideas climb mountains. A boy whose thoughts find their own journey. A boy whose emotions change the weather.

You are growing into your body. You are growing into your emotions. You are growing into your soul. I see the struggle. I see the triumph. I see the amazing results in progress.

Today is your birthday, but the honor of being your mommy is a gift I open daily.

Happy birthday. I love you wildly.

Mommy

22 comments:

slow panic said...

what a perfect letter. have a great day.

Valarie Lea said...

That was so sweet. I think we should all write letters to our children.

cce said...

"the gift I open daily" - well said. Though I'm not sure I can share your sentiment, at least for my own children. Not until I digest my morning coffee. Before the caffeine fix, they are just glaringly noisy heralds of day...more like roosters than gifts.

Miss Lisa said...

Please save that post for Ryan to enjoy when he is older--it's so sweet!
Happy Birthday Ryan!

Miss Lisa said...

Please save that post for Ryan to enjoy when he is older--it's so sweet!
Happy Birthday Ryan!

Jennifer S said...

This was so touching. *sniff* (grabs tissue...)

Enjoy the day!

Rachael said...

Ah, how sweet. Happy Birthday, Ryan!

Happy Campers said...

Makes me all melty inside. I wish I had known it was Ryan's bday today...I would have told him happy bday at the other party we were at together! :) HAPPY BDAY RYAN!!!

S said...

what a sweet, sweet letter.

Momo Fali said...

Oh, these things make me cry!!! And, you got me when I'm hormonal!

Tootsie Farklepants said...

Happy Birthday Ryan!!

That is a very good boy name. I'm quite partial to it.

Anonymous said...

Oh! Happy Birthday big guy. I can't imagine seven. Did it kill you?

Burgh Baby said...

Happy birthday, Ryan! And congratulations, Mom, for so many years of a job well-done.

Anonymous said...

Precious.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Love those March birthday boys!

Candi said...

Happy Belated Bday Ryan! What a handsome little guy!

Courtney said...

That was wonderful and you made me tear up a little. Taylor's birthday is next month and how am I supposed to compete with this? Maybe I'll tell her to read Ryan's letter and fill in she/her where he/him is and Taylor for Ryan.

Thanks for putting the pressure on me!

jennyonthespot said...

Lovely post. I love reading those letters to our children. I just drafted on for my youngest's birthday (coming in a few days)... reading your words warms my heart and reminds me to lean on the truth that I am blessed to be mykids' mom - in the midst of our madness :)

KiS said...

That is very sweet Holly, he is lucky to have a mom who recognizes his tenacity and spirit!

Purple Teacup said...

Thanks for writing this- please don't copyright it as Clayton is turning 7 in June. Seriously, it made me cry.

Future Envy of the PTA said...

I love birthday posts! These always make my day when I run across a loving mother explaining what she's seeing as he grows. Great blog site!

Anonymous said...

This one has left me all kinds of weepy. Mostly because it hits so close to home. Ryan sounds a lot like my Puddin, so much so that for the sake of the universe they probably should never be in the same room.

What you said about growing into his body, emotions, and soul ... those are my fondest wishes for her. The ones I worry over daily. Next time I feel frustrated or overcome with her energy and emotion I'm going to think of this from you and have hope.

Thank You

Post a Comment