7:29 AM

Saturday morning coffee chat...

Posted by Texasholly |

Before I was born into the big blogworld, while the rest of the world was unaware, many to most Saturday mornings I spent with my dear friend via email solving the world's problems--big and minute. And YOU thought the world just chugged along without our intervention? She is someone that I have not laid eyes on in over a decade and a half, but since we discovered that we shared similiar souls packaged differently in college the bond was set. If only the rest of the world could have been aware of how cool we were/are? Who wouldn't be thrilled to be included in our all night Christian Slater movie festivals (don't judge us! You know you would!)?

So, why today to rejoice the Ode to Jodi? Because at 1:22 am last night I read the following in "Eat, Pray, Love" (just because a billion people are reading it right now shouldn't decrease it's value). This is on page 175, chapter 57 for the billion that are following along at home:

"The devout of this world perform their rituals without guarantee that anything good will ever come of it....Devotion is diligence without assurance. Faith is a way of saying, "Yes, I pre-accept the terms of the universe and I embrace in advance what I am presently incapable of understanding." There's a reason we refer to "leaps of faith"--because the decision to consent to any notion of divinity is a mighty leap from the rational over to the unknowable, and I don't care how diligently scholars of every religion will try to sit you down with their stacks of books and prove to you through scripture that their fatith is indeed rational; it isn't. If faith were rational, it wouldn't be--by definition--faith. Faith is belief in what you cannot see or prove or touch. Fath is walking face-first and full-speed into the dark. If we truly knew all the answers in advance as to the meaning of life and the nature of God and the destiny of our souls, our belief would not be a leap of faith and it would not be a courageous act of humanity; it would just be...a prudent insurance policy. I am not interested in the insurance industry. I'm tired of being a skeptic, I'm irritated by spiritual prudence and I feel bored and parched by empirical debate. I don't want to hear it anymore. I couldn't care less about evidence and proof and assurances. I just want God. I want God inside me. I want God to play in my bloodstream the way sunlight amuses itself on water."

I know for a fact and studied effort that I couldn't say it better myself!

PS--A special thank you to my personal IT department for bringing me up to date on my links.

2 comments:

slow panic said...

ok that was extremely sweet of you!!

and also proof that we are still simpatico. this morning i was thinking about how much i missed our morning coffee together and that i should be writing you a nice, long e-mail instead of blogging!

you are the best. i miss the days of BK buckets on our heads and making fun of U2 fans (only certain ones!).

slow panic said...

and love the quote from Eat, Love, Pray!

and realizing I am using to many exclamation marks today!!!!

Post a Comment