7:28 AM

Happily ever after: year 16...

Posted by Texasholly |

Today is blog-Stedman and my 16th wedding anniversary. I met blog-Stedman on registration day of my sophomore year in college in the girl's dorm lobby as I was moving into a new college. He called and left a message on my answering machine a few nights later to ask me out. Before returning his call, I walked out into the girls' dorm hall and asked the 15 random girls that were congregated there if anyone knew blog-Stedman. Every single girl knew blog-Stedman (small college) and not a single negative comment was made. Because this was my 4th year living in a girl's dormitory I completely understood the gravity my poll results. 15 randomly selected girls with nothing negative to say on any topic would be a miracle, but this was a boy...I had hit the lottery. I called him back. We went for our first date to a church meeting followed by Taco Bell. I took him home to meet mom and dad a few months later and when my mom found out that he liked to shop she said, "Holly, you are going to marry him". Yep, 2 1/2 years later we had a simple ceremony in a historic house in downtown Austin. My grandfather married us. My aunt played the piano. My 18 month old niece was the flower girl (and she actually made it down the aisle). We were surrounded by family and dear friends. Since that time we have moved 8 times to 5 different cities. Different places with ways of life, but one thing has remained constant, blog-Stedman. I can get a little gushy here because he doesn't read my blog, he "lives it". Blog-Stedman who puts up with my craziness and even encourages it. Blog-Stedman who is a wildly creative, super opinionated and relatively reserved. Blog-Stedman who is an amazing father, loyal hard worker and cozy husband. Blog-Stedman who spoils me rotten and endures my complaints, my faults, my cluelessness. Blog-Stedman who I know if I went out into any hall filled with people who knew him would get a rousing recommendation. So, dear reader, I am planning at least another 116 years with my lottery husband. But before we are sitting on our front porch in rocking chairs playing with our 34 grandchildren, we are going out tonight and party like its 1991.

8 comments:

A Mom Two Boys said...

Yay! You got married on my birthday! :0)
Happy Anniversary! Have FUN!

Joan said...

Congratulations to you and your wonderful Blog-Stedman. May you have many more happy years together. Now party hearty!!!

Happy Campers said...

Happy Anny! That's a great picture you posted. What a good looking couple :)

Have fun on your special day!

A Mom Two Boys said...

P.S. I want to see a picture of your wedding day...for my birthday?! Please?!
Oh, and you're probably out right now, stitches and all! Hope you're having a GREAT time!

Kellan said...

What a wonderful tribute to your fabulous husband - Happy Anniversary and here's to many happy years to come! Have fun. Kellan

Kellan said...

Really nice picture, BTW - you are an adorable couple.

Lynn said...

Happy Anniversary to you and Blog-Stedman. 16 years is quite an accomplishment! May you two have many, many more! Enjoy!

JCK said...

I hope you had a blast! Congratulations and great picture of you both, by the way.

Post a Comment