12:45 PM

Hi, my name is Holly. I have a...problem...

Posted by Texasholly |

Yes, I am addicted to the "...". You may have noticed. You may even be planning an intervention. Look back through my blogs, emails, correspondence and even my thoughts and...I am obsessed with the "dot, dot, dot". They are so cute, round and multiple. They are a perfect circle design element repeated three times. They are so dramatic in their effect. They are thought inducing, subtracting and multiplying. They are compact and can be taken almost anywhere. Oh, how I love the .... (the fourth one there is the actual period at the end of that sentence which I probably should have replaced with an exclamation point...((see how great that pause is there?))) Which brings me to admit that this isn't the first time I have been in love with punctuation...(stop me, now)...My first crush was with the exclamation point! I am perky by nature so the exclamation point and I really hit it off. Oh, how I could just bring any sentence more umph, visibility, and sass by just adding one of those! It was easy! It was effortless! It was a trap...(give me a break here, it'll all make sense in a minute)...because too much of a good thing depletes its value. I was over-exclaiming. Suddenly all those really important points were lost with all the other really important points. I just had to start saying "no" to the exclamation point. I couldn't go cold turkey. I still can't avoid my first love completely. I have had to go on puctuation limitation. I have self-imposed a one point rule. Only one per event. Only one saved for the most important point thoughtfully and lovingly placed. Oh, I have flirted with the ALL CAPS and the bold. I have even been known to use the --, or in extreme cases the italics. But for now, it will be the dot, dot, dot until...I get help.

5 comments:

A Mom Two Boys said...

OMG...I could have written that!
:0)

Rachael said...

Ha, ha, I see what you mean about blogger kindred spirits on this one...

And -- I'm flattered.

But, like you, I'm over the exclamation point.

Sign me up for some ... and -- therapy though, and I'll be right there with ya.

Amy said...

Yep, sign me up for EA. (Ellipses Anonymous) I use that all the time...

Burgh Baby said...

. . . huh?

. . . are you implying that there is something wrong with using . . . all the time? Just wondering . . .

JCK said...

qAs you know...I am completely addicted to the elipsis, the italics, the bold... I KNEW there was more than our 3 letter initials & minivans to bond us!

Post a Comment