7:56 PM

About this whole June Cleaver thing...

Posted by Texasholly |


The author of this book, Ann Dunnewold, spoke today at the early childhood pta meeting I went to. She had some very good advice and perspective on what is expected from today's mom and what is actually good for the kids! She emphasized that often "perfectly good" would be better then actually perfect (as in your grandmother saying that those shoes are "perfectly good" and you don't need new ones). She echoed my point about June Cleaver (and the reason why this blog nods to her) being on screen for just a short period of time each week. She only appeared perfect about 6 minutes a week which seems pretty attainable to me. I did like her suggestion for those of us who are primarily SAHM to choose a hobby that has a tangible result. Since the results of motherhood won't be seen for years and years, she suggests your hobby can be something you can look at regularly and say, "I did that!" Which may explain the fun of the blog--it chronicles intangible moments of mommyhood.
In my previous life as a physical therapist, I was required for reimbursement to obsessively describe every moment of my patient's treatment in SOAP format (Subjective, Objective, Assessment and Plan). I have never thought about it until today that is so far from my moment to moment life now as a SAHM. Let's try it out on a mommy moment:
S: Ryan stated that he can now spell the word "ice" and that he knows how to code the "c" so that it is voiced as a "s".
O: Ryan coded the word "ice"
A: The word was coded correctly demonstrating he has a grasp on this new skill
P: Continue working with Ryan on spelling and coding until 1st grade goals are met.
Fun! This is really fun! Let's try a new one...
S: Baby screams in the general direction of the pantry and carries around a bag of unopened vanilla wafers while repeating "cookie" in between meals x 45 minutes twice today
O: Baby wants a cookie
A: Baby chose wrong mommy to think this tactic is going to work
P: Rearrange pantry and hide vanilla wafers.
Yeah! Can't leave out boy #3:
S: Reid asked if the "people inside the television are real people or just on TV?"
O: Mommy had discussion about what is real and what is make believe and how photos and videos can be placed on TV of real people, etc.
A: Reid demonstrated understanding of new concept by replying that cartoon characters are not real.
P: Answer a million more questions tomorrow.
So the bottom line of this exercise--if I can chart my kid's progress objectively, will my pay increase???
PS--I bought the book and can give a report later...

0 comments:

Post a Comment